[spectre] Re: the media art center of 21C

rene beekman r at raakvlak.net
Mon Sep 5 13:10:25 CEST 2005

weekend quietness on the list it seems. hope monday brings a
continuation of this interesting discussion.
it's been interesting at different levels, but mostly it was great to
see a discussion i personally felt was long overdue and to see it move
along tracks and come to conclusions that i've come to in various
discussions with a lot of different people over the past several years.

to get this new week started, a few provocations;

From: "Alan J Munro" <alan at munrobius.com>(by way of Andreas Broeckmann)
> ... generally hard cash comes from somewhere- industry or government.
> In Scotland there's an expression: Who pays the piper calls the tune.

in the 80's it was easy to justify subsidy support for a media-art (or
video-art as the going term was) centre on the basis of the argument of
"providing access to expensive equipment that artists would otherwise
not be able to afford to buy or rent".
most of that argument was blown away in the mid 90's when a lot of what
those centres provided in terms of technological access became possible
on out-of-the-box computers and most of us could afford a fairly decent
mini-dv camera and broadband internet access.
in recent years a lot of the media art centres that were originally set
up under this 80's paradigm of "providing artists with access to
equipment" seem to have turned into what i call 'open-source
coding-factories', who's projects seem to centre around the production
of open source software, subsidised as "critical" or "artistic
software".
it takes 3 or 4 of these projects, funded in part by programs like the
european culture2000 program for a modest size centre to "survive" - a
look at the list of culture2000 awarded projects illustrates the point
i'm trying to make here.
funding sources shift, and with it the accepted justification for
funding - nothing new.

this - otherwise interesting discussion - was started by andreas' email
about the eminent or expected closure of icc and in which he quoted rob
van kranenburg's earlier email regarding ivrea and the mit media lab in
dublin and in which he listed "new media" festivals and labs that had
recently been closed or restructured.
thinking about how this discussion was triggered, i can't help but be
reminded of a game of cat and mouse and wonder who's chasing who? are
we now really questioning the validity of the dominant-until-recently
paradigms because we see a possible threat to our funding?
or do we sincerely believe that those paradigms are no longer valid and
do we only dare question them openly under the threat of having funding
pulled?
both andreas and eric have described some of the discussions and
thinking that has gone on at their respective organizations, but how
much of this is true for everyone else?
if this has been a discussion that has been going on at many places,
why has it been off-list until now?

why does it take a commercial entity like ntt to threaten to pull its
funding for a centre like icc before those on this list start to
critically re-assess the value and position of media-art centres?
or are we all mere pipers and does the piper only play when paid and
will he change his tune if the money comes from elsewhere? and will we
keep playing the same tune unless the source of the money and the
strings attached to it changes?
finally, would it be possible to come up with a marketing concept for
what we want to do that would free us from the dependency on hand-outs
from governments and industries and the mood-swings that go with the
politics involved?

just a few random thoughts and questions.
still hoping someone would post a report on saturday's meeting for
those who weren't there.

rene