[spectre] the upgrade!istanbul #1

Basak Senova basak at nomad-tv.net
Wed Nov 23 22:46:42 CET 2005

apologies for any cross-posting..

THE UPGRADE!ISTANBUL
NOMAD

24th of November 2005
17:00-  Introduction of Upgrade! Network and Upgrade! Istanbul by Basak
Senova, NOMAD
17:30- A discussion on "interaction and performance" with Aylin Kalem of
TECHNE, Ilyas Odman and Irmak Arkman of KargART and Cetin Sarikartal. Ilyas
Odman and Irmak Arkman will present their latest performance along with some
documentaries from Skopje, Macedonia.

Aylin Kalem, TECHNE
Holder of a BA degree in English Language and Literature, and an MA degree
in History from Bogazici University, Istanbul; and a DEA degree in Dance and
New Technologies from the University Paris 8, Paris. Teaching member of the
Royal Academy of Dance, London. Dance teacher and choreographer. Co-founder
of the TECHNE Digital Performance Platform. Giving lectures on New
Technologies in Contemporary Performance, exhibiting interactive
installations and writing critical articles on dance, performance and
digital technologies. Currently working on the International Digital
Performance Platform Project that will be held in Istanbul in Spring 2006.
Instructor at the Management of Performing Arts Department of Bilgi
University and at the Modern Dance Department of Mimar Sinan Fine Arts
University with courses on Performance Studies and Theories of the Body.

TECHNE
Following the suggestion that art and technology are two inseparable
entities and that they together determine the evolution of mankind, TECHNE,
the Digital Performance Platform, is conceived as a structure that
encourages and promotes research and performances focused on the symbiosis
of the body and new technologies.

Ilyas Odman, KargART
Cultural Manager of KargART and choreographer of "underNine dance & movement
Project". He begun his movement studies in Ankara at 1997 and continued at
Vienna, Çanakkale and İstanbul. Martin Sonderkamp, Alparslan Karaduman,
Bürge Öztürk, Chevy Muraday, Umay Umay, Bahadır Dilbaz, Alexandre Abellan,
Stephanie Parent are some artists with whom he produced together. He
performed and will perform at Vienna, Portugal, Macedonia, Iceland and
Belgium. During last two years he searched for an movement style which can
not be classified just as "dance" and in order to achieve this, he explores
for different tools of expression.

Irmak Arkman , KargART
Cultural Manager of KargART and freelance performing artist. She started her
theater education in Mujdat Gezen Art Center. After entering to Bilgi
University Department of Management of  Performing Arts, she begun to work
independently. She directed "In the Solititude of Cotton Fields" of Koltes
as an dance thater in the Festival "Sahnesiz Theater Days" At 2005, she
performed the first version of the performance series called "Mahrem Mekan-
Ob/scene". In this season, she collaborated with different artists from
different disciplines like Eser Selen, Bahadır Dilbaz in order to produce
new versions of this performance series.

Skopje-Balkan Dance Festival  is an event which has been organized with
collaboration of IETM and Balkan Lokomativa in order to create an general
view of Balkan Dance World and to build an network between independent dance
artists which are living in Balkan region.

Cetin Sarikartal
Cetin Sarıkartal, PhD, studied English Literature, Art History and Theory of
Contemporary Art. His research focuses on performance, acting, art and
visual communication. He teaches at Kadir Has University, Department of
Communication Design in Istanbul. He also works as a dramaturg and director
in theater.

@ 17:00 santralistanbul
Silahtaraga, Halic (there is a shuttle bus from Istanbul Bilgi University,
Main Entrance of Dolapdere Campus, at 16:45)

The Upgrade! Istanbul is a monthly gathering for new media artists,
academicians, practitioners, curators and for all of the other actors of
digital culture, organized by NOMAD and hosted by santralistanbul.

The Upgrade! is a network of international monthly meetings in the field of
art and technology. Founded by media artist Yael Kanarek in 1999, the
Upgrade! exists as forums for artists, designers, critics, curators and
educators who form the communities in different cities to discuss and share
knowledge. Current nodes include Boston, Chicago, Montreal, Munich, NYC,
Oklahoma City, Scotland, Seoul, Sofia, Tel-Aviv, Istanbul, Vancouver and
Toronto. Host organisations include Eyebeam, Turbulence.org , New Media
Scotland, Art Centre Nabi, The Western Front, The Society for Arts and
Technology (SAT), InterSpace, I-camp, DCA, CCA, No-Org.net, Art Interactive,
santralistanbul, Open-Node.com and TUBE.

http://www.nomad-tv.net/upgrade