[spectre] FWD: Adopt an Artist for Steal my Idea

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Sat May 21 01:27:28 CEST 2005

debalie press-release

Adopt an Artist

In the frame of the international art manifestation Steal my Idea (July
1-3, 20005) De Balie, Centre for Culture and Politics in Amsterdam,
offers 16 artists up for adoption. The motivation for this remarkable
move are the continued cut backs of funding that have been imposed upon
the cultural sector in The Netherlands

De Balie has decided to take the initiative to bring artist and the
business community together. Let us, for a change, not stand in
opposition. Commerce is not afraid of culture, and with this project
culture no longer rejects commerce. Where the government stops taking
its responsibilities, the business community takes over. An economic
investment in arts is an investment in social change, thus both parties
achieve their aims. Change is good: To stand still means to fall back,
both for society as well as the economy.

The portfolio of artists ranges across a variety of forms, from media to
image, to text. However, they are all ambitious and innovative,
qualities that should appeal to the business community. The artists
selected for Steal my Idea distinguish themselves by taking just that
slightly different point of view. As a result they will come to be known
as innovators and trend-setters. It is these ideas of the artists that
can be stolen, not just to copy them, but to inspire. This is how Steal
my Idea wants to shift the boundaries and become a source of inspiration.

Companies can select from 3 adoption packages: SILVER, GOLD & PLATINUM,
for a local, regional and international visibility of their names.
Furthermore, this gift is tax-deductible in many countries including The
Netherlands, which might give a further hint to an overly ‘economic’
government.

To register for adoption please refer here:
adopteereenkunstenaar at balie.nl

An overview of artists up for adoption may be found at:
http://www.debalie.nl/media