[spectre] Applebaum, The Gulag: Lest We Forget

Soenke Zehle soenke.zehle at web.de
Sat Mar 19 12:04:36 CET 2005

Like the (un)civil societies newsletter, this one too comes from an
institute with impeccable anti-communist cold war credentials, but the
Applebaum book is actually quite good, even though it, too, fuels the
revival of totalitarianism theory...as do the other folks on the roster
of this issue of the Hoover Digest [1], btw, do check out this kind of
intellectual regrouping, the self-stylization of Bush II as the one who
picks up where Reagan left off and all that...very interesting
re-weaving of history going one as most folks continue to look at Iraq.

But maybe that's simply it, that died-in-the-wool cold warriors are just
about the only folks who continue to be interested in retrieving cold
war histories, but it's telling that the key historical events for
_Empire_, for example, are Tian-An men (spelling?) and Gulf War I, not
the fall of the Berlin Wall - I never figured why so many of our star
leftists have so little interest in these kinds of histories,

sz

[1] <http://www.hooverdigest.org/051/toc051.html>

The Gulag: Lest We Forget
Anne Applebaum
<http://www.hooverdigest.org/051/applebaum.html>

The more we are able to understand how various societies have
transformed their neighbors and fellow citizens from people into
objects, and the more we know of the specific circumstances that led to
each episode of mass torture and mass murder, the better we will
understand the darker side of our own human nature.

Anne Applebaum is a columnist and member of the editorial board of the
Washington Post.

Sidebar: How Many?

In the early autumn of 1998, I took a boat across the White Sea, from
the city of Arkhangelsk to the Solovetsky Islands, the distant
archipelago that was once home to the Soviet Union’s first political
prisons. The ship’s dining room buzzed with good cheer. There were many
toasts, many jokes, and hearty applause for the ship’s captain. My
assigned dining companions, two middle-aged couples from a naval base
down the coast, seemed determined to have a good time.

At first, my presence only added to their general merriment. It is not
every day one meets a real American on a rickety ferry boat in the
middle of the White Sea, and the oddity amused them. When I told them
what I was doing in Russia, however, they grew less cheerful. An
American on a pleasure cruise, visiting the Solovetsky Islands to see
the scenery and the beautiful old monastery—that was one thing. An
American visiting the Solovetsky Islands to see the remains of the
concentration camp—that was something else.

One of the men turned hostile. “Why do you foreigners only care about
the ugly things in our history?” he wanted to know. “Why write about the
Gulag? Why not write about our achievements? We were the first country
to put a man into space!” By “we” he meant “we Soviets.” The Soviet
Union had ceased to exist seven years earlier, but he still identified
himself as a Soviet citizen, not as a Russian.

His wife attacked me as well. “The Gulag isn’t relevant anymore,” she
told me. “We have other troubles here. We have unemployment, we have
crime. Why don’t you write about our real problems, instead of things
that happened a long time ago?”

While this unpleasant conversation continued, the other couple kept
silent, and the man never did offer his opinion on the subject of the
Soviet past. At one point, however, his wife expressed her support. “I
understand why you want to know about the camps,” she said softly. “It
is interesting to know what happened. I wish I knew more.”

In my subsequent travels around Russia, I encountered these four
attitudes about my project again and again. “It’s none of your business”
and “it’s irrelevant” were both common reactions. Silence—or an absence
of opinion, as evinced by a shrug of the shoulders—was probably the most
frequent reaction. But there were also people who understood why it was
important to know about the past and who wished it were easier to find
out more.

Monuments and Public Awareness
In fact, with some effort, one can learn a great deal about the past in
contemporary Russia. Not all Russian archives are closed, and not all
Russian historians are preoccupied with other things. The story of the
Gulag has also become part of public debate in some of the former Soviet
republics and former Soviet satellites. In a few nations (as a rule,
those who remember themselves as victims rather than perpetrators of
terror), the memorials and the debates are very prominent indeed.

Dotted around Russia itself, there are also a handful of informal,
semi-official, and private monuments and museums, erected by a wide
variety of people and organizations. Strange, surprising, individual
monuments can sometimes be found in out-of-the-way places. An iron cross
has been placed on a barren hill outside the city of Ukhta commemorating
the site of a mass murder of prisoners. To see it, I had to drive down
an almost impassable muddy road, walk behind a building site, and
clamber over a railway track. Even then I was too far away to read the
actual inscription. Still, the local activists who had erected the cross
a few years earlier beamed with pride as they pointed it out to me.

A few hours north of Petrozavodsk, another ad hoc memorial has been set
up outside the village of Sandormokh, where prisoners from the
Solovetsky Islands were shot in 1937. Because there are no records
stating who is buried where, each family has chosen, at random, to
commemorate a particular pile of bones. Relatives of victims have pasted
photographs of their relatives, long dead, on wooden stakes, and some
have carved epitaphs into the sides. Ribbons, plastic flowers, and other
funerary bric-a-brac are strewn throughout the pine forest that has
grown up over the killing field. On the sunny August day that I visited
(it was the anniversary of the murder, and a delegation had come from
St. Petersburg), an elderly woman stood up to speak of her parents, both
buried there, both shot when she was seven years old. A whole lifetime
had passed before she had been able to visit their graves.

And yet in Russia, a country accustomed to grandiose war memorials and
vast, solemn state funerals, these local efforts and private initiatives
seem meager, scattered, and incomplete. The majority of Russians are
probably not even aware of them. And no wonder: Ten years after the
collapse of the Soviet Union, Russia—the country that has inherited the
Soviet Union’s diplomatic and foreign policies, its embassies, its
debts, and its seat at the United Nations—continues to act as if it has
not inherited the Soviet Union’s history. Russia does not have a
national museum dedicated to the history of repression. Neither does
Russia have a national place of mourning, a monument officially
recognizing the suffering of victims and their families.

More notable than the missing monuments, however, is the missing public
awareness. Sometimes it seems as if the enormous emotions and passions
raised by the wide-ranging discussions of the Gorbachev era simply
vanished, along with the Soviet Union itself. The bitter debate about
justice for the victims disappeared just as abruptly. Although there was
much talk about it at the end of the 1980s, the Russian government never
did examine or try the perpetrators of torture or mass murder, even
those who were identifiable.

It is true, of course, that trials may not always be the best way to
come to terms with the past. But there are other methods, aside from
trials, of doing public justice to the crimes of the past. There are
truth commissions, for example, of the sort implemented in South Africa,
which allow victims to tell their stories in an official, public place
and make the crimes of the past a part of the public debate. There are
official investigations, like the British Parliament’s 2002 inquiry into
the Northern Irish “Bloody Sunday” massacre, which took place 30 years
earlier. There are government inquiries, government commissions, and
public apologies. Yet the Russian government has never considered any of
these options. Other than the brief, inconclusive “trial” of the
Communist Party, there have in fact been no public truth-telling
sessions in Russia, no parliamentary hearings, no official
investigations of any kind into the murders or the massacres or the
camps of the USSR.

The result: half a century after the end of World War II, the Germans
still conduct regular public disputes about victims’ compensation, about
memorials, about new interpretations of Nazi history, even about whether
a younger generation of Germans ought to go on shouldering the burden of
guilt about the crimes of the Nazis. Half a century after Stalin’s
death, there were no equivalent arguments taking place in Russia because
the memory of the past was not a living part of the public discourse.

The Russian rehabilitation process did continue, very quietly,
throughout the 1990s. By the end of 2001, about 4.5 million political
prisoners had been rehabilitated in Russia, and the national
rehabilitation commission estimated that it had a further half million
cases to examine. But although the commission itself is serious and well
intentioned, and although it is composed of camp survivors as well as
bureaucrats, no one associated with it really feels that the politicians
who created it were motivated by a real drive for “truth and
reconciliation,” in the words of the British historian Catherine
Merridale. Rather, the goal has been to end discussion of the past, to
pacify the victims by throwing them a few extra rubles and free bus
tickets, and to avoid any deeper examination of the causes of Stalinism
or of its legacy.

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same...

There are some good, or at least forgivable, explanations for this
public silence. Most Russians really do spend all their time coping with
the complete transformation of their economy and society. The Stalinist
era was a long time ago, and a great deal has happened since it ended.
Post-communist Russia is not postwar Germany, where the memories of the
worst atrocities were still fresh in people’s minds. In the early
twenty-first century, the events of the middle of the twentieth century
seem like ancient history to much of the population.

Perhaps more to the point, many Russians also feel that they have had
their discussion of the past already and that it produced very little.
When one asks older Russians, at least, why the subject of the Gulag is
so rarely mentioned nowadays, they wave away the issue: “In the 1990s
that was all we could talk about, now we don’t need to talk about it
anymore.”

But there are other reasons, less forgivable, for the profound silence.
Many Russians experienced the collapse of the Soviet Union as a profound
blow to their personal pride. Perhaps the old system was bad, they now
feel—but at least we were powerful. And now that we are not powerful, we
do not want to hear that it was bad. It is too painful, like speaking
ill of the dead.

Some still also fear what they might find out about the past if they
were to inquire too closely. Aleksandr Yakovlev, chairman of the Russian
rehabilitation commission, put this problem bluntly. “Society is
indifferent to the crimes of the past,” he told me, “because so many
people participated in them.” The Soviet system dragged millions and
millions of its citizens into many forms of collaboration and
compromise. Although many willingly participated, otherwise decent
people were also forced to do terrible things. They, their children, and
their grandchildren do not always want to remember that now.

But the most important explanation for the lack of public debate does
not involve the fears of the younger generation or the inferiority
complexes and leftover guilt of their parents. The most important issue
is rather the power and prestige of those now ruling not only Russia but
also most of the other former Soviet states and satellite states. In
December 2001, on the 10th anniversary of the dissolution of the Soviet
Union, 13 of the 15 former Soviet republics were run by former
Communists, as were many of the former satellite states. Even in those
countries not actually run by the direct ideological descendants of the
Communist Party, former Communists and their children or fellow
travelers continued to figure largely in the intellectual, media, and
business elites. The president of Russia, Vladimir Putin, was a former
KGB agent who proudly identified himself as a Chekist, a word used to
describe Lenin’s political police at the time of the revolution. The
dominance of former Communists and the insufficient discussion of the
past in the post-communist world is not coincidental. To put it bluntly,
former Communists have a clear interest in concealing the past: it
tarnishes them, undermines them, hurts their claims to be carrying out
“reforms,” even when they personally had nothing to do with past crimes.
Many, many excuses have been given for Russia’s failure to build a
national monument to its millions of victims, but Aleksandr Yakovlev,
again, gave me the most succinct explanation. “The monument will be
built,” he said, “when we—the older generation—are all dead.”

This matters because the failure to acknowledge or repent or discuss the
history of the communist past weighs like a stone on many of the nations
of post-communist Europe. Whispered rumors about the contents of old
“secret files” continue to disrupt contemporary politics, destabilizing
at least one Polish and one Hungarian prime minister. Deals done in the
past, between fraternal communist parties, continue to have
ramifications in the present. In many places, the secret police
apparatus—the cadres, the equipment, the offices—remains virtually
unchanged. The occasional discovery of fresh caches of bones can
suddenly spark controversy and anger.

This past weighs on Russia most heavily of all. Russia inherited the
trappings of Soviet power—and also the Soviet Union’s great power
complex, its military establishment, and its imperial goals. As a
result, the political consequences of absent memory in Russia have been
much more damaging than they have in other former communist countries.
Acting in the name of the Soviet motherland, Stalin deported the Chechen
nation to the wastes of Kazakhstan, where half of them died and the rest
were meant to disappear, along with their language and culture. Fifty
years later, in a repeat performance, the Russian Federation obliterated
the Chechen capital, Grozny, and murdered tens of thousands of Chechen
civilians in the course of two wars. If the Russian people and the
Russian elite remembered—viscerally, emotionally remembered—what Stalin
did to the Chechens, they could not have invaded Chechnya in the 1990s,
not once and not twice. To do so was the moral equivalent of postwar
Germany invading western Poland. Very few Russians saw it that way—which
is itself evidence of how little they know about their own history.

There have also been consequences for the formation of Russian civil
society and for the development of the rule of law. To put it bluntly,
if scoundrels of the old regime go unpunished, good will in no way have
been seen to triumph over evil. This may sound apocalyptic, but it is
not politically irrelevant. The police do not need to catch all the
criminals all of the time for most people to submit to public order, but
they need to catch a significant proportion. Nothing encourages
lawlessness more than the sight of villains getting away with it, living
off their spoils, and laughing in the public’s face. The secret police
kept their apartments, their dachas, and their large pensions. Their
victims remained poor and marginal. To most Russians, it now seems as if
the more you collaborated in the past, the wiser you were. By analogy,
the more you cheat and lie in the present, the wiser you are.

In a very deep sense, some of the ideology of the Gulag also survives in
the attitudes and worldview of the new Russian elite. The old Stalinist
division between categories of humanity, between the all-powerful elite
and the worthless “enemies,” lives on in the new Russian elite’s
arrogant contempt for its fellow citizens. Unless that elite soon comes
to recognize the value and the importance of all of Russia’s citizens,
to honor both their civil and their human rights, Russia is ultimately
fated to become today’s northern Zaire, a land populated by impoverished
peasants and billionaire politicians who keep their assets in Swiss bank
vaults and their private jets on runways, engines running.

Tragically, Russia’s lack of interest in its past has deprived the
Russians of heroes, as well as villains. The names of those who secretly
opposed Stalin, however ineffectively, ought to be as widely known in
Russia as are, in Germany, the names of the participants in the plot to
kill Hitler. The incredibly rich body of Russian survivors’
literature—tales of people whose humanity triumphed over the horrifying
conditions of the Soviet concentration camps—should be better read,
better known, more frequently quoted. If schoolchildren knew these
heroes and their stories better, they would find something to be proud
of even in Russia’s Soviet past, aside from imperial and military triumphs.

Yet the failure to remember has more mundane, practical consequences
too. It can be argued, for example, that Russia’s failure to delve
properly into the past also explains its insensitivity to certain kinds
of censorship and to the continued, heavy presence of secret police, now
renamed the Federalnaya Sluzhba Bezopasnosti, or FSB. Most Russians are
not especially bothered by the FSB’s ability to open mail, tap
telephones, and enter private residences without a court order.

Insensitivity to the past also helps explain the absence of judicial and
prison reform. In 1998, I paid a visit to the central prison in the city
of Arkhangelsk, once one of the capital cities of the Gulag. The city
prison, which dated back to before Stalin’s time, seemed hardly to have
changed since then. As I walked the halls of the stone building,
accompanied by a silent warder, it seemed as if we had stepped back into
one of the many Gulag memoirs I had read. The cells were crowded and
airless; the walls were damp; the hygiene was primitive. The prison boss
shrugged. It all came down to money, he said: The hallways were dark
because electricity was expensive, the prisoners waited weeks for their
trials because judges were badly paid. I was not convinced. Money is a
problem, but it is not the whole story. If Russia’s prisons still look
as they did in Stalin’s era, if Russia’s courts and criminal
investigations are a sham, that is partly because the Soviet legacy does
not hang like a bad conscience on the shoulders of those who run
Russia’s criminal justice system. The past does not haunt Russia’s
secret police, Russia’s judges, Russia’s politicians, or Russia’s
business elite.

But then, very few people in contemporary Russia feel the past to be a
burden, or an obligation, at all. The past is a bad dream to be
forgotten or a whispered rumor to be ignored. Like a great, unopened
Pandora’s box, it lies in wait for the next generation.

Western Amnesia

Our failure in the West to understand the magnitude of what happened in
the Soviet Union and Central Europe does not, of course, have the same
profound implications for our way of life as it does for theirs. Our
tolerance for the odd “Gulag denier” in our universities will not
destroy the moral fabric of our society. The Cold War is over, after
all, and there is no real intellectual or political force left in the
communist parties of the West.

Nevertheless, if we do not start trying harder to remember, there will
be consequences for us too. For one, our understanding of what is
happening now in the former Soviet Union will go on being distorted by
our misunderstanding of history. Again, if we really knew what Stalin
did to the Chechens, and if we felt that it was a terrible crime against
the Chechen nation, it is not only Vladimir Putin who would be unable to
do the same things to them now, but also we who would be unable to sit
back and watch with any equanimity. Neither did the Soviet Union’s
collapse inspire the same mobilization of Western forces as did the end
of the Second World War. When Nazi Germany finally fell, the rest of the
West created both NATO and the European Community—in part to prevent
Germany from ever breaking away from civilized “normality” again. By
contrast, it was not until September 11, 2001, that the nations of the
West seriously began rethinking their post–Cold War security policies,
and then there were other motivations stronger than the need to bring
Russia back into the civilization of the West.

But in the end, the foreign policy consequences are not the most
important. For if we forget the Gulag, sooner or later we will find it
hard to understand our own history too. Why did we fight the Cold War,
after all? Was it because crazed right-wing politicians, in cahoots with
the military-industrial complex and the CIA, invented the whole thing
and forced two generations of Americans and West Europeans to go along
with it? Or was there something more important happening? Confusion is
already rife. In 2002, an article in the conservative British Spectator
magazine opined that the Cold War was “one of the most unnecessary
conflicts of all time.” The American writer Gore Vidal has also
described the battles of the Cold War as “forty years of mindless wars
which created a debt of $5 trillion.”

Thus we are forgetting what it was that mobilized us, what inspired us,
what held the civilization of “the West” together for so long; we are
forgetting what it was that we were fighting against. If we do not try
harder to remember the history of the other half of the European
continent, the history of the other twentieth-century totalitarian
regime, in the end it is we in the West who will not understand our
past, we who will not know how our world came to be the way it is.

And not only our own particular past, for if we go on forgetting half of
Europe’s history, some of what we know about mankind itself will be
distorted. Every one of the twentieth-century’s mass tragedies was
unique: the Gulag, the Holocaust, the Armenian massacre, the Nanking
massacre, the Cultural Revolution, the Cambodian revolution, the Bosnian
wars, among many others. Every one of these events had different
historical, philosophical, and cultural origins; every one arose in
particular local circumstances that will never be repeated. Only our
ability to debase and destroy and dehumanize our fellow men has been—and
will be—repeated again and again: our transformation of our neighbors
into “enemies,” our reduction of our opponents to lice or vermin or
poisonous weeds, our reinvention of our victims as lower, lesser, or
evil beings, worthy only of incarceration or expulsion or death.

The more we are able to understand how different societies have
transformed their neighbors and fellow citizens from people into
objects, the more we know of the specific circumstances that led to each
episode of mass torture and mass murder, the better we will understand
the darker side of our own human nature. Totalitarian philosophies have
had, and will continue to have, a profound appeal to many millions of
people. Destruction of the “objective enemy,” as Hannah Arendt once put
it, remains a fundamental object of many dictatorships. We need to know
why—and each story, each memoir, each document in the history of the
Gulag is a piece of the puzzle, a part of the explanation. Without them,
we will wake up one day and realize that we do not know who we are.

Material from pages 178–91 adapted from the book Gulag, by Anne
Applebaum, published by Doubleday, a division of Random House, Inc. ©
2003 by Anne Applebaum. Reprinted with permission.