[spectre] MEMEFEST 05 - festival of radical communication

alain bieber I rebel:art alainbieber at yahoo.de
Sun Mar 13 18:33:23 CET 2005

Dear Friends,

First of all, we, the organizers of Memefest 2005, ask
you to forward this e-mail to as many people as
possible. The media are usually making it
difficult for us to get publicity by censoring, or
ignoring, Memefest so please be an “alternative” voice
box for us.

For those of you who may not know, Memefest is an
annual festival of radical communications that is now
in its fourth year. It was started because we feel
that positive ideas- memes- can and should spread just
as easily as negative and commercial ones. But, this
can’t happen out of nowhere; and so, every year, we
ask students, artists, graphic designers,
activists, and anyone with an interest in
counter-culture to put their talents to good use.
They (this means you!) can choose to submit to one of
our four categories: communication studies, sociology,
visual arts (all open to undergraduate and graduate
students of any discipline), and Beyond
, open to
students and non-students alike.  The first two
require a
written response to a critical and current text in
cultural studies; visual arts asks for a static or
interactive works in response to another
(different though equally relevant piece), while
Beyond
requests a response whose form breaches
mainstream academic and art conventions- it
can be anything, so long as its message is positive-
and infectious!

Please consider this a personal invitation to each and
every one of you to take part in this year’s festival
in some way. The text for the
communication and sociology category is an excerpt
from Douglas Rushkoff’s “Nowhere to Hide,” which deals
with the subversive attempts of advertisers
to stay “one step ahead” of even the most conscious
(and cynical) consumer.  The text for visual arts and
Beyond
 is “The People’s Communication Charter,” an
insistent proclamation for an utopian society
where all citizens have equal access to communication.

The jury for all four categories continues to be
comprised of world-renowned scholars, artists, and
devoted activists.  New additions this year include
Chris Habib, who was instrumental in New York’s
Liberty Street Protest, and the co-founder of Protest
Records, and Claire Pentecost, who runs the Critical
Art Ensemble Defense Fund.

Check out our site, and see what we’re about.  And,
check out pieces and writings from students of
previous years.  Last year, we received more
than 350 entries, and this year we hope to top that;
but, we need your help! The contest is run completely
on-line and all the required texts and registration
can be found at www.memefest.org/en Drop us an e-mail
if you’ve got some ideas, some questions, or would
like to collaborate.

Deadline for submissions is May 20th, 2005.

Subvert, Create, Enjoy!

The Creators of Memefest 2005

FAQ: memefest at memefest.org
Web: http://www.memefest.org/en