[spectre] (fwd) Eclectic Tech Carnival women's tech workshop, Graz

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck at transmediale.de
Sat Jun 25 14:43:27 CEST 2005

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 10:49:45 -0500
From: "nancy" <nancy at sistero.sysx.org>
Subject: <nettime-ann> [event] [austria july11] 4th annual /Eclectic
	Tech	Carnival (/etc) at the ESC Cultural Centre in Graz

              ***   /Eclectic Tech Carnival           ***
              ***   http://eclectictechcarnival.org   ***
              ***   July 11th - July 15th, 2005       ***
              ***   Graz, Austria                     ***

Calling all women to participate in the 4th annual /Eclectic Tech
Carnival
(/etc for short) at the ESC Cultural Centre in Graz. A unique computer
skill-share. A five day-night carnival of exchanging computer related
skills for women by women.

Our theme this year is Networking both physically and technically; with
Translocal Communication tools from open source chatting and blogging
software to building secure local area networks for organising both
locally and globally.

Program Topics for  this year:
1. Free & Open Source Software - the concept, plus examples for all
operating systems.
2. Linux installation (ubuntu, debian) and Live CD distro Dynebolic.
3. Web Development - text editors, HTML, CSS and web-based content
management systems.
4. Chat and Communication Software - IRC, jabber, Gnome Meeting, silc.
5. PC Hardware - building a computer; no one will take the screwdriver
out
of your hand in this workshop.
6. Networking and Security Issues.
7. Special Topics and Performances - Loom Weaving, Ethnoblogging,
Streaming Sound and Video, using Puredata, Keyworx and Upstage for net
collaborations.
8. Some local recreational excursion - we can't always be sitting at the
computers.

Have you ever wanted to learn more about computers and how tech stuff
works? Never dared to open your best friend's computer? Ever started
repairing your bicycle but was stopped by a gentleman's helping hand?
Always wanted to know more about Free and Open Source Software? Want to
meet other women who love playing with bits and bytes, hardware and
software?

Then the /etc is for you!

We only use Free and Open Source software. Software that you can use and
improve because the code is not kept secret.

It will be okay to break things and to ask questions.
No one will tell you to RTFM (Read The F-ing Manual).
It will exhilarate and exhaust.
There will be communication barriers, but we intend to challenge them.

The /etc is organised by volunteers from Austria, Spain, Italy, the
Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, USA, Serbia-Monte Negro,
Slovenia, Germany, Brazil. Practically, English will be the default
language of the event but please don't let this keep you from joining
us!
For courses we will try other languages.

The location is not yet prepared for wheel-chairs, but we are willing to
give assistance. Child-care assistance will be provided.

Registration:
http://eclectictechcarnival.org/2005/regform.html

Accommodation:
Bring sleeping gear with you; meals will be arranged collectively at the
time. We will do our best to accommodate your needs in terms of diet and
childcare, but you must tell us in advance (on registration form).
Please
fill-out the registration form with as much detail as possible.

Fees:
There is a small conference fee. Donations towards further costs are, of
course, always welcome!!

For information requests, email us at:
info at eclectictechcarnival.org

We hope to hear from you soon and to see you there.

The /etc development team.

nancy