[spectre] FWD: Electrohype throws in the towel

Chris Byrne chris at crowriver.net
Thu Jan 20 20:49:31 CET 2005

I'd agree with Zeljko that small organisations often struggle to gain
recognition from their local arts 'ecology' of funders, patrons, etc.
That's certainly been my experience. Funding often comes down to
old-fashioned politics and lobbying, which smaller organisations find
more difficult to do effectively. So the tendency, regardless of
artform, is for larger organisations to attract funding into their
gravitational pull as it were.

I think it's also a problem with media arts more generally. Ultimately
the cultural mainstream - painting, classical music, theatre or cinema
- has more supporters, institutional presence, and power. Organisations
like ZKM, Ars Electronica, V2 and FACT are exceptions, and it's no
coincidence these are based in industrial/post-industrial cities where
economic regeneration or cultural transformation are important issues.
North American funding models are different, so perhaps not so relevant
here in Europe: as the failure of Media Lab Europe has demonstrated.

The question is thrown back at media arts practitioners and promoters:
what is so important or essential about what we do that the State
should fund it?

Chris