[spectre] newsletter institute of network cultures

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 23 09:09:47 CET 2005

NEWSLETTER
Institute of Network Cultures
February 22, 2005.

Inaugural Speech by Geert Lovink
Thursday February 24 at 16 o’clock, Geert Lovink's ' openbare les'
(maybe best translated as 'inaugural speech') will take place at the
auditorium of the HvA, Weesperzijde 190 (next to Amstelstation) in
Amsterdam. The lecture is in Dutch and is titled 'Networking of
Notworking, Principes van de Netwerkcultuur'. For more information and
last-minute registration visit
http://www.hva.nl/lectoraten/openbareles-050224.htm. The lecture will
be live streamed at www.networkcultures.org/stream.  The lecture is
accompanied by a free publication (in English) of Geert Lovink's essay
titled The Principles of Notworking. This publication can be ordered by
email. Just send a request to: info at networkcultures.org.

A Decade of Webdesign Archive
On 21-22 January 2005, the INC organized the conference A Decade of
Webdesign, together with the Piet Zwart Institute Ma Media Design
Research, and the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam. The conference website is
still online, and will be completed with transcriptions of all the
presentations. The resource section already hosts a blog made by our
ethno-bloggers Nancy Mauro-Flude and Goran Batic. The documentation
will be available online the first week of May. The design timeline,
made by staff and students of the Piet Zwart Instituut Rotterdam, MA
Media Design Research, is still online at the website
www.designtimeline.org. Thanks again to all speakers, participants,
crew members, project partners and sponsors for making this an
unforgettable event!

Nieuwe Media in Nederland
Our lecture series on new media in the Netherlands continues... Next up
are two speakers from the new media working practice.
Monday February 28, 12.15 at the HvA Weesperzijde 190 (next to
Amstelstation), D00.07.
Jeroen Fabius (Dance Unlimited) will present a lecture on the use of
new media in dance and performance productions.
On Monday March 21 (same time & place), Theo Ploeg (Cut Up Media) will
present his lecture on online popjournalism.
Both lectures are in Dutch, extensive descriptions are available at
http://www.networkcultures.org/index.php?page=pd&lang=en&ID=4.

Incommunicado 05: Alternatives in ICT for Development
Workconference:June 16-17, 2005 & Public Event: June 15, 2005
A new project team has started the research for our next big event:
Incommunicado 05. Incommunicado 05 is organized in cooperation with
Waag Society in Amsterdam (www.waag.org), and the Delhi-based media
centre Sarai (www.sarai.net). Incommunicado 05 will consist of a
workconference and a public event that will take place in De Balie,
Amsterdam. Check our call for participation at
www.networkcultures.org/projects, or check the Incommunicado website at
www.incommunicado.info. For more information on the conference, or if
you need assistance in applying for funding, please contact Matthijs
Rutten: matthijs at networkcultures.org.

Project Agenda
February – June 2005 Nieuwe Media in Nederland (lecture series)

April 22-23, 2005 German Media Theory
This event will take place at the university theatre in Amsterdam,
April 22-23. You can subscribe for the mailinglist by sending an email
to Geert Lovink, geert at xs4all.nl.

June 16-17, 2005 Incommunicado 05: Alternatives in ICT for Development

September 22, 2005 Urban Screens, one day seminar on large screens in
public spaces.

October 7-8, 2005 Art and Politics of Netporn
Organized in collaboration with Katrien Jacobs

Please check our website for more information on current and future
projects: www.networkcultures.org/projects.