[spectre] United We Stand

Eva Mattes Propaganda at 0100101110101101.ORG
Thu Dec 15 18:30:04 CET 2005

14 December 2005, FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

United We Stand
0100101110101101.ORG's fake movie hits the streets of your city ...and
your mind

"United We Stand. Europe has a mission" is the punchy title of the
non-existent, fully EU-produced Hollywood-style blockbuster: "A
brilliant mix of espionage and sci-fi political stereotypes in which
Europe, not the USA, saves the world from impending doom". The project
that consists in the invention and promotion of this nonexistent movie
is hitting public and media space all over the world through city-scale
urban installations and viral communication tactics.

Isn't there something odd about this poster?

The streets of Berlin, Brussels, Barcelona, Bangalore and New York have
been plastered with thousands of posters of this fake movie, in the
first stage of a long-term communication strategy that began in late
2005 and will gradually cover the whole media spectrum from blogs to
magazines and TV. Full page United We Stand ads have been spotted all
over Europe, in magazines devoted to art, youth culture and life
styles. More are to come.
"I'd heard about this new project - comments Spanish art critic Nilo
Casares - but it was only when I saw the poster at the entrance of the
European Parliament that I understood what 0100101110101101.ORG meant"

"United We Stand" the movie

It is the year 2020. With the excuse of halting North Korea's nuclear
arms proliferation, the USA has declared war on China - a development
long expected by international analysts.
"We have a problem. Make that two: America and China", with these
words, the European president calls for the intervention of a special
Task Force: an undercover emergency team composed of five highly
trained individuals only known as the English, the French, the German,
the Italian and the Spanish agents. Their mission: to work behind the
scenes to resolve the international crisis before it's too late and
disarm the two superpowers without resorting to brute force.
"The power of the United States is a thing of the past - claims the
French Task Force agent - How can you go around like John Wayne in a
globalized world, where anything you do affects everything and
everyone? In the networked world that we live in, the European model is
fated to win".
Through international espionage, hi-tech sabotage and after many ups
and downs, the Task Force comes close to achieving its aim. But when
victory is within their sight, the mission apparently fails. How will
Europe resolve the international crisis?

The European Dream. Propaganda for the 21st century?

United We Stand touches on themes of subliminal art, cultural
propaganda and European identity, clashing against expectations and
exploding cultural stereotypes. "Everyone remembers Peter Fonda in Easy
Rider - says 0100101110101101.ORG's Eva Mattes - nobody is surprised by
a leather jacket with an American flag, while the same jacket with a
European flag would only make you laugh". Why is the patriotic
iconography of the USA commonly accepted, while when it is applied to
Europe it completely changes its meaning and actually becomes
ludicrous?
Like Mattes' previous large-scale work Nike Ground, United We Stand
provokes an unexpected wave of collective hallucination where
over-identification, falsehood and consequent disclosure are key
elements that foster critical thinking and provoke discussion around a
topic.
"How do people perceive recent geo-political developments in Europe? -
asks Nilo Casares - Is the European Dream the human and social project
we will have to comply with? The issue is not whether or not people
would like to see United We Stand; whether real or fake, this movie is
a brilliant representation of the 'zeitgeist'"

Public disclosure

Since December 10th, Postmasters Gallery in New York has been the first
of a series of art venues to host the disclosed side of the United We
Stand project. The exhibition will run parallel to the ongoing
communication strategy. "We are working simultaneously on this double
track, the "fictional" and the "real" - explains Franco Mattes - in
this sense, spectators in the gallery who are aware of the multiple
layers are passive voyeurs, while the unaware "spectator", or passerby,
is actually part of the artwork".

About the authors

Eva and Franco Mattes - internationally known as 0100101110101101.ORG -
are a couple of restless European con-artists who use non-conventional
communication tactics to obtain the largest visibility with the minimum
effort. Past works include inventing and promoting a nonexistent
artist; spreading a computer virus as a work of art; challenging and
defeating Nike Corporation in a legal battle for a fake advertising
campaign.

--

To contact Eva and Franco Mattes: Contact @ 0100101110101101.ORG

http://www.0100101110101101.ORG