[spectre] New IT Globe in 'B92.net domain' (Modified by Geert Lovink) [u]

mediawatch at lists.opennet.org mediawatch at lists.opennet.org
Sat Dec 3 15:46:41 CET 2005

New IT Globe in 'B92.net domain'

Belgrade, December 3, 2005 - Last evening, computer magazine Mikro
PC-World IT Globe awards were presented in the Belgrade Hyatt Hotel
Crystal Hall. Best IT products in Serbia and Montenegro are honoured
with IT Globe awards, and the winners are selected by Mikro magazine
editors.
B92.net has won IT Globe for the best website for the second time in
three years.
Extraordinary results which the B92.net website achieved in 2005 have
helped B92 win the IT Globe again.

"It is an honour to win this award for the second time in three years.
Certainly, the award is a logical consequence of extraordinary results
achieved recently. I will remind you that B92 website has set a new
benchmark with over a million pageviews per day on two occasions this
year. This achievement has made our website the most popular
destination on the world wide web in the region of Southeast Europe
according to the web monitoring service Alexa.com. Of course, many new
sections we have introduced this year on our web site have
significantly helped us win this award. I would like to particularly
mention the segment Lifestyle, then Health, Travel, Motoring, etc. In
addition, the innovation No. 1 on our website is the certainly the new
format for broadcasting multimedia content – Podcast B92. This format
is indeed something fresh and new – internationally as well", said
Dejan Restak, B92 website director.

There are 15 IT Globe award categories. Golden Globe was presented to
Microsoft Belgrade for setting up the Serbia-Montenegro Development
Centre. After China, India and Ireland, Microsoft Development Centre
was opened in Serbia as well. This will enable our country to tap into
the huge potential for IT and software industry development.

The biggest IT failure this year – the award presented by leading IT
journalists in Serbia and Montenegro – was given to the IT and Internet
Institute. The explanation for such a decision states that this
institution "has no expected results in the IT and Internet development
in the country. Moreover, there are no tangible results whatsoever to
justify the existence of the Institute. To make things worse – even the
Institute's website is not operational."

Many public figures, media and most successful IT companies'
representatives attended the ceremony.

The entire list of award winners is available at
http://www.mikro.co.yu/it-globus/