[spectre] winter wingflapping is oh so culiblog [u]

d.a. solomon dsolomon at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 5 03:13:01 CET 2005

Dear Friends, Friends of Friends, Friendly Friends of Family and
Friendly Family,

MIlle pardons for cross posting. You are receiving culiblog's twice
yearly update about food, food culture, food as culture and the
cultures that grow our food.

Barely into December and culiblog has a brand new set of duds!
Recycle, re-use, grow your own, and glean. The spankin' new archive
spotlight dives daily into the archive's guts, just to pick out the
diamonds. Miss the part about the yurt and garden? Short supply chains?
The entire duck entier? It's all coming back to me now...

http://www.culiblog.org

Here's a smattering of entry excerpts, the season's best:

 - So except for the coffee and the vodka, we were eating very locally:
SF Bay Area food journalists laid down the gauntlet, challenging us to
eat food grown within 100 kilometres of our home. Way down in
Occitania, we did it within 5. Including the wine. Excepting the vodka.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/07/except_for_the
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/08/homegrown_blood

 - And the answer is... community supported agriculture: Depressed
about the scary food supply scenarios in the IDFA's Austrian
documentaries? You need a balanced diet of Real Dirt and Bullshit.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/11/food_related_ar

 - Honey, rockin' my world: Honey's the thang this season. If it isn't
Chef Achatz' Alinea in Chicago dishing up some of that Ohio 'comb' (and
causing me to gasp audibly), I'm morphogenetically serving it up
myself, jewel-style with raw cocoa nibs. In Istanbul, they just stack
it up and let 'er drip.
 http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/11/and_now_for_som
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/11/audible_gasps_c
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/10/honey_rock_my_w

 - Food Subculture Club visits a raw food (un)cooking workshop: If you
liked Louis Theroux' Weird Weekends (and are also a bit of a smug-ass),
this mid-week culture clash may appeal to you.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/11/raw_food_week_1

 - Chef Thor, Croqueta d'Amor, Medaille d'Or, Culturál Sectór!
To posh up their menus for Amsterdam's Museum N8 (= nacht, = night),
the croquette commissioners unanimously chose two of the newest
creations from the chef formerly known as Chef Thor; the Croqueta
d'Amor ('No More War!' '7 Sabors!') and the Croquette Japonais.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/11/the_chef_former

 - Eat while you can, in a few minutes it will be Yom Kippur, the
chaotic humanistic Day of Atonement: Permeated with a Curb Your
Enthusiasm tone that makes me want to read out loud, scrunch my eyes,
shrug my shoulders and wave my hands around saying. "Do we fast on the
ninth? No! We fast only on the 10th!
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/10/yom_kippur_is_t

 - Branding Iftar in Istanbul is handy to mouthy: Not that there's
anything wrong with that.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/10/branding_iftar

- Today's fig-related transactions: Figs as currency in Occitania?!
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/09/todays_figrelat

 - Subsistance farming can be so romantic: if you only have to do it
for a week. Whilst living in the yurt, Dishy Lad and I didn't end up
doing a whole lot of cooking, preferring instead to eat what fell into
our mouths, right out of the hands that fed us.
http://www.culiblog.org/archives/2005/08/substitance_far

What, you don't read culiblog regularly?
Why
the
heq
not?

You want a little more? You want a little less? I'll subscribe you or
unsubscribe you from this twice-a-year update as fast as you please.
Just reply to this email with SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSRIBE in the subject.

COMING UP IN DECEMBER's CULIBLOG:

 - Occupied Olive Tree Territories in film festivals, at the Istanbul
Biennale
 - Urban fruit gleaning maps, I heart the public domain
 - Stupid impulse buying, kosher vegan ice cream
 - Cronenbergian service ware keeping food aloft
 - Feasting and  fasting, Thank Gawd for newfangled cuisine végetale!

Happy Holidays, whatever it is you're celebrating,

Debra Solomon
--