[spectre] Re:(6) Is the ICC (Tokyo) closing?

Eric Kluitenberg epk at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 21 00:46:35 CEST 2005

Dear Spectrites,

Another 'institutional' discussion on the list - every now and then we
seem to need one, but as Armin wrote, in the end without any
institutions (of whatever kind) how can the field develop?

I also see the general point that Tom Holley is making about the need
for audience education and explanation - that is certainly a role for
various art and culture institutions. This is an issue I hear all the
time, have been hearing for years, and something that needs to be taken
seriously, i.e. some decent projects and programs should be put in
place. I think that by now there are more than enough art historians,
cultural critics, curators and others who could put good quality
programs together that really mediate this (important) work well to a
broader audience.

But I would be a little less pessimistic than the gerenal tone of the
discussion so far, and take up in particular the question that Andreas
Broeckmann has put forward:

Andreas Broeckmann wrote:
> i cannot really say much about the actual role that the ICC has played
> in japan over the last 10 years, besides being a beacon of
> internationally oriented activities with high-profile events, and
> certainly an important motor of discourse. what i am concerned about is
> that, just as the existence of ICC, ZKM, AEC have until now worked as an
> argument to support smaller media art initiatives all over the world,
> the demise of the ICC could be used by local politicians everywhere as
> an argument that 'media art is finished' ... - so, not least, i am
> afraid that we might face a communication problem when we talk about
> public funding, if this trend continues.

It's something that I was worried about for a while as well, but now
much less. To some extent the position of new media art / new media
culture has always been precarious, in that it is intimately tied to the
fate of the new media industry, which saw a huge collapse and recession
after the dotcom implosion and the breakdown of the new economy concept
in 2000. Coupled with that was a general economic slowdown and the burst
of the UMTS bubble (what The Economist called "The great telcom crash").
One of the fascinating questions was if there could be something of a
new media art and culture in its own right, independent of the industry
which was in recession?

Well, yes and no - yes in the sense that artists and cultural intiatives
went on to develop new projects, ideas, tactics and strategies, and no
because ultimately without new 'new media' there can be no 'new media art'.

A few years down the line from the great crashes it is easier to
separate the substance from the noise, and a few things are quite
evident. There are still many critical issues around information
technology / new communication tools / the new media industry, prominent
among them is the shift in emphasis from dot.com to security and
policing aspplications of new information and communication
technologies. Also a huge amount of market consolidation followed the
dot.com and telcom busts, that was hardly a suprise. But what is
apparent is that the new media industry has not disappeared altogether,
that new broadband technolgies have been rolled out, that the wireless
media are booming (even if less miraculous as predicted before the
telcom crash), and the new media industry is finding a new equilibrium
and 'market' for itself.

So, we can be quite confident that on many different levels new media
development will continue, that ict and networking technologies will
continue to play a crucial role in economic development suis generis,
that the information sectors of economies world-wide will continue to
dominate other sectors (also quite soon in emerging mega-economies such
as China and India).

civil society organisations and initiatives, from independent political
actors with these developments. I would find it absolutely unthinkable
that such enormously important tendencies in contemporay society would
remain unquestioned at a cultural and artistic level, and that cultural
and art institutions would not live up to the challenge these
developments pose. And of course this has already happened, is happening
and will continue to happen - the discussion should rather be in what form?

Are the models of ZKM, ICC, AEC outdated? Should they be renewed /
transformed, and can they be?
Should they rather be replaced by something else? Smaller institutions
and support structures perhaps, or more distributed? Or, conversely,
should new media arts and culture be more appropriately integrated into
the fabric of regular cultural institutions (museums, libraries, art
education, amateur art centres, cultural centres, theaters,
universities, etc..)?

In my own recent experience at De Balie, the centre for culture and
politics in Amsterdan, we are going through a dramatic reorganisation
process.  New media and art & culture as a focus area has always been
part of a much broader set of programs referencing cinema, theater,
local, national, and international politics, social and cultural debate.
Yet, the 'new media wing' has been quite important for the centre in
recent years, generating a long string of events and projects - the
bigger of which have been circulated over this list.

Now, in the current transformation of the place virtually everything has
been called in question: the editorial and support staff, artistic
directorship, organisational structure, legal structure, board,
programming priorities, division of fte's, financial flows and
structures, use of the building - you name it....

The media wing of De Balie had been restructured already in the past two
years, where we decided to develop a new line of (mass-)media criticism
(The InfoWarRoom), alongside the new media and art programming, and
heavily intensified the web publishing, streaming media and audience
interaction development activities (around the open source CMS MMBase
platform).

In my recent discussions (with people notably outside the field of new
media) about the profile of the new organisation that needs to be built
we touched upon the lack of wider public visibility of a lot of the new
media culture, the need for improved communication, not just with the
audience, but also with decision makers who control public funding for
culture, media, ict and the social sector, or in other words the wider
public domain. These discussions were quite harsh yet constructive and
critical. At no point has the relevance of continued support for new
media art / culture as a crucial ingredient for the new organisation
that will be built be called into question. Nor did we opt for the
corporate bail-out, collaboration between art and industry and other now
highly fashionable ideas around a terrain that the info-crats call
"e-Culture".
(Do I need to mention "creative industries"??)

Instead our preliminary assesment is that new media art / new media
culture should be located within a wider social context - that the
relevance and critical role of these activities needs to be highligthed
and be made visible to a wider audience, both the audience at large as
well as the opinion leaders and decision makers who in the end decide
where the available (public) money should go - in the face of an
immanent threat of further marginalisation of the new media field within
the sphere of influence of key players in that public institutional
domain - who belong to a pre-new media generation and whose
understanding is generally superficial, i.e. succeptible to simplifying
trends and slogans yet missing the real substance of what is changing in
society and culture.

Personally I think that collaboration between the art and  culture
sector and the industry (as well as other domains such as publically
funded research) can be highly effective and useful. But I just do not
believe in the model of realising everything via 'the market'. Therefore
the debate about the legitimacy and the channels for public supprt to
new media arts and culture remains on the table.

In our own case (De Balie) we decided to expand the media program with a
targetted positon for new media and infopolitics, alongside new media
and art, (mass)media criticsm and open source development. More than
that the new editorial team will have to seek the active integration of
new media structures, forms and tools in all other programming domains
of the organisation, because art, culture, politics, economics, and the
future development of the social organism simply cannot be thought
independently anymore from the evolving media, information and
communcation structures - all these domains have become symbiotic - they
need to be critically disentangled and reintegrated to figure out what
is going on in our societies....

My main questions here would therefore be, how do artists and cultural
initiatives position themselves in this process outlined above? What are
the most adequate and effective forms of (public) support for this, and
how can this be organised? And finally, how can the relevant
stakeholders - opinion leaders and decision makers - be convinced of the
right approach?

I would almost want to end with one the worst corporate slogans ("Es
gibt viel zu tun - packen wir es an!"), but I know that this is too
controversial so I won't do it....

Best wishes,
Eric