[spectre] ASCII under eviction threat again

geert geert at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 17 07:10:50 CET 2004

From: albi at scii.nl

hi,

Amsterdam-based internetworkspace Ascii (http://www.scii.nl) is under a new
eviction-threat, please support us by sending a friendly protest-email
(in english or dutch) to the District Council of Amsterdam East
(see below)
--

On the 31st of october this year, ASCII occupied a new space on
Wibautstraat 7 (in Amsterdam). Since the 6th of november we have been

Our house, Wibautstraat 7, is the property of the municipal government
and is being administrated by the district-council of Oost-Watergraafsmeer.
The district council does not have any determined plans for the building
yet, but is looking for a renter or byer for it.We tried entering negotiations and come to an agreement with them, so we
could keep the place until a renter or byer is found. The
district-council,however, wants to have us evicted now, saying that the building has not
been empty long enough to allow legal squatting.

We challenge this decision!

ASCII needs a space to be able to provide it's services, and we can not
pay the commercial rents in Amsterdam. An empty space does not provide
anything for the neighbourhood or the city!

Therefore we ask everyone who supports us in our decision to remain, that
they would send an e-mail to the city council of Oost-Watergraafsmeer,
demanding that they leave us alone until an appropriate renter or byer is
found.

ASCII is a non-profit initiative which is active for over five years
without any budget or subsidy, giving people Linux courses, helping
people take their first steps on the internet and promoting open-source
software.

ASCII is maintained and operated by volunteers only.
More about ASCII can be found on http://a.scii.nl

Support us by sending an email to:

Jelle Prins - District Councillor for Labour and Housing:
 	jprins at oost-wgm.amsterdam.nl

Executive Council (Dagelijks Bestuur) Oost-Watergraafsmeer:
 	bestuur at oost-wgm.amsterdam.nl

Please make clear in your e-mail to the members of the council that ASCII
is a valuable institution you regard worthy of support.

Remember to send us a CC to ascii at squat.net of every e-mail you send!