[spectre] FW: The Split Wall Exhibition - Call for Submissions

darko fritz fritz.d at chello.nl
Mon Mar 22 00:38:39 CET 2004

----------
From: "66 East" <mail at 66east.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:29:22 +0100

Call for Submissions

The Split Wall Exhibition

'[W]alls are the material declaration of the intent to repel all delinquent
perception and all illicit communion. [.] Walls are the armoury that
preserves our personal integrity against the inroads of the rest of humanity
and nature.' (Robin Evans)

66 East's third exhibition will study the wall: its characteristics, its
texture, its function and its presence.

The wall can be described as an elementary particle of the urban
environment. It functions as a partition between the private and the public,
between flats and between rooms. It often exists as a neutral, almost
unnoticed spatial border. It appears in plan as a two dimensional line, its
thickness and depth possessing no significance other than its constructive
qualities and ability to insolate noise and energy. Yet the wall -whether
external or internal- is of primary importance for spatial division,
exclusion and inclusion, limiting and enabling view and action. It is
'split' due to its double-sidedness, each side facing a different ambience
or enclosure, defining it and being defined by its character. A stand-alone
wall signifies instability and destruction; it is often perceived as a ruin,
indicating a lost structure and memory.

The exhibition is interested in the wall's relation to enclosed space rather
than large, urban interventions (the Berlin Wall, for instance). The study
of the wall's surface, section and meaning is of primary interest.

The exhibition is due to open on the18th of June 2004.

We are interested in work which relates to the subject, and can include
existing work, studies and suggestions for site-specific installations.
Applications from disciplines such as fine-art, architecture, design and
new-media are all welcome. Please send JPEGs of the work and a short
description to mail at 66east.org with 'wall' as the subject.

Incase the work has not yet been realised, please send a short description
of your intentions and JPEGs of other, relevant work you have produced.

66 East will select the participants by the first of May and notify you. We
apologize that we will not be able to inform every applicant of our process
and reasoning.

66 East: Centre for Urban Culture

Sumatrastraat 66

1094 NH Amsterdam