[spectre] Two recent DVD titles from Aspect Media

Joel S. Bachar joel at microcinema.com
Wed Mar 3 00:29:37 CET 2004

The Blackchair DVD Collection Recommends:
TWO recent titles from Aspect Media:

ASPECT – THE CHRONICLE OF NEW MEDIA
VOLUME I – ARTISTS OF THE BOSTON CYBERARTS FESTIVAL
&
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES – PROJECTS FOR TV by Douglas Weathersby
---------

ASPECT – THE CHRONICLE OF NEW MEDIA
VOLUME I – ARTISTS OF THE BOSTON CYBERARTS FESTIVAL

Aspect is a biannual DVD magazine of new media art. The mission of the
publication is to distribute and archive works of time-based art.

Each issue highlights 5-10 artists working in new or experimental
media, whose works are best documented in video or sound. Each work
can be viewed with or without an additional commentator audio track.

The 2003 Boston Cyberarts Festival is an international biennial
festival that brings together artists in all media who are using
computers to advance traditional artistic disciplines and to create
new interactive worlds. The Festival will take place at museums,
galleries, theaters, educational institutions, and public spaces in
and around Boston. This unique DVD magazine will allow for people to
view video, installation, sound, and performance work of some of the
oustanding participating artists.

Copyright 2003. 65 minutes. $25.00 with Public Performance Rights.
Wholesale discounts available!

Included in this issue:

CHRISTY GEORG: Attainment
with audio commentary by Roland Smart

Attainment is a device going through the motions, using a measured
process, to attain harmony, or curb discord. A scientific instrument
slowly drips water into a glass, which periodically spins to
be "played" by a cork-tipped player arm. Concurrently, a small hammer
strikes a tuning fork, indicating the aural goal. Again and again, as
the glass fills with water, it alters its pitch closer to that of the
tuning fork. Its struggle is in the attempt to attain perfect pitch,
which once attained, is fleeting.

RAVI JAIN: 3speed 2000
with audio commentary by James Hull

3Speed 2000 documents the journey of three ‘transportation pioneers’
aboard the first high speed train in America, Amtrak’s Acela Express.
The video is part of an ongoing performance based piece in which I
strive to be the first to traverse notable large-scale transportation
systems. For each of these milestones I adopt a different personality.
Drawn from literary and historical sources, these personae celebrate
the romance of explorations past. Clad in matching flight suits and
helmets, the 3Speed 2000 trio radiates a bravura and optimism that
recalls the glamour of early space travel.

HENRY KAUFMAN: The Memory of Your Touch
with audio commentary by Denise Markonish

When someone touches you and takes their hand away, what do you feel
afterwards? Is that tingling warmth sensation something of them, or is
it created in your body? What do you leave behind of yourself when you
touch something? If you could see the imprint of your touch, what
would it look like? "The Memory of Your Touch" is one result of my
exploration of these thoughts. My vision was to make it possible to
see what you leave behind and turn that ephemeral residue into
something physical with weight, and yet light at the same time.

PETER TUCKER: Irrigation
with audio commentary by Bill Arning

“I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to
have been only like a child playing on the sea-shore, diverting myself
in finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst
the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.”   Sir Isaac
Newton

Like Newton, I play. I use a variety of materials in the search for
that smoother pebble, with the hope that the process or product will
have some truth to it, a point of inspiration or moment of
contemplation for the viewer.

Play embraces ways of seeing, doing and being that are easily lost in
our fast-paced world. I strive for an openness or awakening in
attitude and approach to the world around me. My goal is to bring this
approach to my artwork and, through the work, to transfer it to the
viewer.

Irrigation focuses on the creation of new and merging forms and lines.
It alters reality to help us focus on reality. The sound serves to
disturb the environment as the mirrors disturb the image.

For me, Irrigation represents the disjunction between watering and the
desert environment of the southwest. It also recalls the pleasure of
performing this simple, solitary task.

DAVID WEBBER: Language Extension#4
with audio commentary by Dana Moser

The two blenders sit on top of a TV and mimic the speech of the people
in the soap opera video. Blender noise becomes a vocal extension of
the TV character that relays the sibilance of speech manifested in
mechanical form. The voices pitch and loudness control the speed and
intensity of the blender creating a sonic envelope of words. This
piece deals with the McGurk effect, in the mismatch between the
auditory signal and the visual signal to create a third phoneme
different from both the original auditory and visual speech signals.
Here the McGurk effect changes the perception of meaning by forcing
one to rely on the visual reading of lips and gesture for the
decipherment of the sound meaning. The meaning is altered but conveyed
through implied meaning associations of lip motion and gesture. This
piece is one in a series that investigates language and the
multiplicity of meaning.

Editor: Michael Mittelman

To order: orders at microcinema.com
Or go to:
http://www.microcinema.com/programResult.php?program_id=%20204

---------------------------

ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES – PROJECTS FOR TV by Douglas Weathersby

Douglas Weathersby creates site-specific installations by combining
artmaking with the business of cleaning, home repair, art
installation, and other services. Weathersby uses his commercial
enterprise, EnvironMental SerVices, as a means to support and create
his art. Clients hire him to perform an agreed upon service while
giving him permission to make art. Using light and the dust and
detritus accumulated while performing these services he creates
temporary installations which he documents with video and photographs.
DVD includes: 18 videos and over 40 still images.

Copyright 2003. 40 MINUTES
$30.00 (with Public Performance Rights)
To order: orders at microcinema.com
Or go to: