[spectre] DRIFT Radio: Resonant Cities

Chris Byrne chris-lists at mediascot.org
Sun Aug 8 20:37:43 CEST 2004

DRIFT Radio: Resonant Cities
8 - 14 August
The Narrative Journey programme 2
http://www.mediascot.org/drift

DRIFT: Resonant Cities

How we listen and how aware we are of the 'noise' around us is at the
heart of the wealth of works submitted and selected for Resonant
Cities, a series of themed radio programmes curated by Robert H. King.

The programmes are presented in three distinct themes. The second
thematic strand is 'The Narrative Journey'. The unfolding stories of
this set of programmes are a compelling series of road movies (without
visuals) that retrace paths taken and interact as the journey unfolds.
The Narrative Journey programme 2 presents Sean Burn's sprawling
'nØRth'

nØRth is a multi-faceted 'portable north' for the 21st century, taking
a road journey along the A66, the author's 'road home', as its starting
point. This is explored in spoken text and sampled/processed sound. The
A66 runs from Whitehaven in Cumbria to Stockton-on-Tees, and on to
Tees-port: a route that covers variously such wonders as the world's
first Bessemer Steelworks; Wordsworth's birthplace; the Pennines and
river Tees; Scotch Corner Services; the World's First Railway. From
these and other fragments Sean Burn has woven an evocative illuminated
manuscript, combining the polyphonic texts with found soundscapes.

To listen to the stream, and for further information visit the DRIFT
web site at http://www.mediascot.org/drift

New Media Scotland
P.O. Box 23434, Edinburgh EH7 5SZ
Tel. +44 131 477 3774