[spectre] A review of Blood Electric

Kenji Siratori white-b at d4.dion.ne.jp
Thu Apr 22 13:24:37 CEST 2004

Blood Electric
Fiction for the 21st Century
Isbn:  1-84068-060-1
Creation Books
http://www.creationbooks.com

"Blood Electric" is easily one of the strangest, most difficult books I have
ever read. Relying on a dizzying array of images written in an experimental
language that at times borders on the nonsensical ("The spiritual mode of
the sickly period respiration that fecundates the schizo of ToKAGE the
blood-intestines//Emotion unstable script::of amoeba that analyzes the love
of self//"), Siratori nevertheless draws you deftly into a world more
machine than human, more relevant with each passing day than most of us
would care to admit. Beginning with "<<I record the vital-icon+our
chromosome form escape of the suck=blood chromosome::the horizon of the body
fluid=murder like the dog that was done to nude gene=TV/spasm//" you are
taken on a journey into the coming to consciousness of an artificial
intelligence that will take your breath away, or leave you screaming on an
abandoned pathway of your own subconscious. Violence, sex and the
technological horrors of the not-so-distant future await you with fervent
intensity within these pages; fear "Blood Electric," or revel in its complex
message of technology gone mad?whichever, I implore you to read this book
with an open mind and untainted eyes, and discover for yourself what all the
fuss is about.

-Gary West
http://www.dreampeople.org/

official site: http://www.kenjisiratori.com