[spectre] *Mutella News* [03_SEPTEMBER_03]

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 4 12:05:20 CEST 2003

M | U | T | E | L | L | A | __ N | E | W | S | __ sprrrrrread it!

_______________________________________________3 September 03 _

_______________________________________TABLE__OF__KONTENT

........1. Editorial [Mutella News]
........2. Mute [New & Archived]
........3. Web Exclusives [Update]
........4. Jobs [Ad]

........1...*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*

Hi,

Last summer, Mute quietly suspended production of its newsletter
Mutella. We had too much on our plate, and our apparent incapacity to
bring it out monthly was becoming frustrating. The combined workload
of the triad Mute, Metamute, Mutella was bringing each element down,
and this forced a rethink across the board.

Since then, we've been working more happily on a new, pared down
operation: the once bi-monthly magazine is thriving as a bi-annual
journal and the website Metamute is updated with essays - the 'Web
Exclusives' - roughly every other week. Our resources project
OpenMute is developing, as we ready ourselves to provide open source
tools, services and advice in late 2003.

Over time, Mute will function both as a collection of new articles,
an index to our website's material, and an entry point into our
expanded network, with us planning regular surveys, maps, and a new
advertising policy that easier enables our readers to profile
themselves.

The only entity still requiring our attention was Mutella, which
we're bringing back by popular demand. Aside from Mutella's mix of
news, opinion and tips, many Mute and Metamute readers have lamented
the lack of an announcement list for Metamute content, which we're
hereby initiating as Mutella News.

Inspired by 'roughly monthly' newsletters like the excellent Lux
Newswire (see http://www.lux.org.uk/newswire.html), Mutella will then
appear approximately every month when it's ready.

All the best, and please keep those news emails coming at:
mute at metamute.com.

Pauline van Mourik Broekman, Simon Worthington, Josephine Berry, Hari
Kunzru, Jamie King, Matthew Hyland, Demetra Kotouza.

........2...*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*

Mute [New & Archived]

New: Mute 26 (Summer/Autumn 2003)

Including: Alan Toner on the World Summit on Information Society,
Joyce Song on Palestine's urban planning,  Suddhabrata Sengupta on
the politics of surveillance in contemporary India, Tomas Zamot on
the worker-occupied Zanon factory in Argentina, Felix Stalder on
autonomous media infrastructures, Simon Ford on Gustav Metzger,
Raimundas Malasauskas on the limits of simulation in America's
post-9/11 cultural scene, Bea Gibson on Transmediale, Matt Locke on
the FACT centre in Liverpool, Peter Suchin on Roland Barthes, and
special projects by the London Particular, Ex-IBM photographer Jamie
Robertson, and John Paul Bichard.

Archived: Mute 25 (Winter/Spring 2002/3)

Including: JJ King on the European Social Forum, Mark Crinson on
Manchester's new Urbis museum, Maria Fernandez and Matthew Hyland on
Documenta 11, Horacio Tarcus on the political crisis in Argentina,
Heath Bunting & Kate rich in conversation with Matt Jones, Neil
Mulholland on Ambient culture, Kate Rich on Josh On, Pauline van
Mourik Broekman & Josephine Berry in conversation with APG, a short
story by Gwyneth Jones and special projects by Futuresonic,
Université Tangente and the Semantic Web crew

........3...*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*

Web Exclusives [Update]

If you haven't been devoutly checking Metamute at every available
opportunity, you might not have noticed that we've been running
regular feature articles and reviews, mostly written exclusively for
the website! The swift turnover of these WebExclusives is intended to
counter-balance the sometimes too pensive time-lags of Mute's
biannual appearance. To give you an idea, here are details of the
last three:

NB: to find the WebExclusives archive, please go to
http://www.metamute.com and click the WebExclusive link. The most
recent three can always be found on the home page.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // Military Operations as Urban Planning [28.08.03]

According to Israeli architect Eyal Weizman, cities have always
reflected the dominant military techniques of their times. With the
demise of the linear warfare between nation states and the advent of
non-linear wars waged against internal 'terrorists', cities have
become our primary 'battle spaces'. Here, Phillip Misselwitz talks to
Weizman about the (mis)uses of the urban fabric by the military, and
the premeditative assimilation of planning into the choreography of
war. As 'urbicide' and 'designed destruction' become default global
strategies by which the city is turned against its inhabitants,
architects and planners face a minefield of new ethical dilemmas.
Eyal Weizman is co-author of A Civilian Occupation: The Politics of
Israeli Architecture, Verso 2003, with Rafi Segal. See Kate Rich's
review of Weizman's contribution to the show Territories, Kunstwerke,
Berlin, in next week's WebExclusive.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // Museum Epidemiology [14.08.03]

Betti Marenko visits London's latest art & science highlights,
CleanRooms at the Natural History Museum and Ansuman Biswas at the
Whitechapel, and considers the possibilities for art to subvert
techniques of science without being contaminated by them.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // Rimbaud: Intermediary Militant [30.07.03]

In Howard Slater's consideration of Rimbaud's Season in Hell, the
poetry is adopted and adapted as a transhistorical 'locus of
expression'; one that - in keeping with Rimbaud's own desire to move
beyond identity, self-expression and representation - centres on a
poetic politics of affectability and becoming.
This text first appeared on http://www.infopool.org.uk.

*..*..*

Other gems from the WebExclusive treasure trove include:

WEBEXCLUSIVE // The Involuntary Victims of the Aztecs [6.03.03]
Benedict Seymour visits the Aztecs exhibition at London's Royal Academy.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // The Enthralled Dog: A Variant Technology [26.02.03]
Melanie Gilligan looks at the implications for cognitive science of
epileptic helper dogs and other human comrades.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // The World is Full of Laughter: Dolly Sen, Jason
Pegler and Mad Lit... [17.01.03]
Ben Watson on Chipmunka publishing's contribution to the 'mad lit' genre.

WEBEXCLUSIVE // Libre, non Gratis: BerLon [18.12.02]
Simon Worthington the Pico-peering agreement for wireless networking

........4...*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*

Jobs [Ad]

Mute magazine is looking for a part time assistant editor to work 2
days per week in its London-based office.

Salary £14-16K pro rata

The assistant editor will have editorial or writing experience and a
keen interest in culture, politics and new media. A working knowledge
of critical net culture is essential, as is a familiarity with the
internet and related applications.

The assistant editor will work closely with the editor and
responsibilities will include: commissioning and editing texts for
the magazine and website, taking an active role in editorial
meetings, representing the magazine nationally and internationally
and general administrative work. Mute is a small organisation and any
applicant should be prepared to multitask and work as part of a team.

To apply, please send us your CV, a recent example of your writing,
and a covering letter explaining why you think you are right for the
job to:

Pauline van Mourik Broekman & Simon Worthington
Mute
2nd Floor East,
Universal House
88-94 Wentworth Street
London E1 7SA

DEADLINE Friday 19th September

Candidates seeking to familiarise themselves with past and present
content of the magazine can do so through our website, Metamute.com.

For further enquiries or a copy of the job description, please
contact Mute on email at mute at metamute.com, or telephone at +44 (0)20
7377 6949

Mute and Metamute are supported by Arts Council London

..............*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*..*

Mute Data

Single issues of the present Mute issue 26 can be purchased for £8.00 from
Mute through Demetra Kotouza (demetra at metamute.com)
W:: http://metamute.com/subs
Also on offer, bac packs (issues pilot thru 7) and back issues

_____NEAR_THE_|E|N|D|_

And now for the protocol bit:

You're on this list because we thought its content was of relevance
to you or you are an existing subscriber of Mute magazine.

To subscribe:
- Email mutella-request at lists.metamute.com with the word 'subscribe'
in the subject (without the quotes).
To unsubscribe:
- Email mutella-request at lists.metamute.com with the word
'unsubscribe' in the subject (without the quotes).