[spectre] Remote Labor Systems and Tele-Garden

ewen at altern.org ewen at altern.org
Thu May 1 15:43:04 CEST 2003

Remote Labor Systems
http://cybracero.com/

In these times of terror, as America increases its deportation and detention of illegal immigrants, someone needs to confront difficult questions like “How will the American economy stay competitive without immigrant labor?” and “If America succeeds in sealing its borders, who will do the work millions of illegal immigrants do today?”

For Remote Labor Systems, these questions are not theoretical - they present a huge market opportunity.

RLS is pioneering a fusion of broadband internet technology and low-cost robotics, designed to eventually compete with illegal immigrants for the market of carrying out the most basic functions in the American economy.

We hope you find our site informative, and that you'll join us as we try to find a way to keep America competitive in these perilous times.

Roger H. Buck, President
Remote Labor Systems

OUR REALITY
TODAY, MILLIONS OF PEOPLE LEAVE THEIR HOME COUNTRIES SEEKING WORK, USUALLY AS MANUAL LABORERS, IN FAR AWAY COUNTRIES. THIS IS PROBLEMATIC FOR THE "IMMIGRANT" AND THE COUNTRY THAT RECEIVES THEM.

OUR MISSION
TO USE THE INTERNET TO DELIVER LABOR- EVEN MANUAL LABOR- WHERE IT IS NEEDED, WHEN IT IS NEEDED.

OUR DREAM
A TRUE REALIZATION OF THE FREE MARKET; A WORLD IN WHICH MANUAL LABORERS AROUND THE GLOBE USE THE INTERNET, AND TELE-ROBOTICS, TO COMPETE FOR JOBS IN THE FIRST WORLD.

OUR MARKET
THE MILLIONS OF "IMMIGRANTS" WHO PERFORM MANUAL LABOR IN THE FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES. THEY ARE OUR CUSTODIANS, DOMESTIC WORKERS, FARM WORKERS, ETC.

TECHNOLOGY
We often get questions about the feasibility of our business model. Surprisingly few people have grasped the true destination of our current information revolution.

That destination is:

TELEPRESENCE.

We are heading towards technologies so advanced, and so affordable, that sending only "information" through communication lines will seem like a thing of the past. In the near future we will be able to send increasily profound aspects of our beings through those same lines.
When a user can fill their senses (Sight, smell, taste, touch, hearing) with data coming from a remote location, that state of being is called telepresence..

Think TELE-VISION, but for the whole being.

 Our business model acknowledges that telepresence is the future. For Americans it may mean cheaper, more pleasurable, and trouble-free vacations in far away, maybe non-existent worlds. For the rest of the world (Our customer base) it may mean a less troublesome process of "immigration" to work within our borders.
On this page, we'll post our schematics and more technical data about our project as it becomes available.

In the meantime, please visit our colleagues listed below. For those interested in the feasability of the Cybracero Program, The Tele-Garden may prove most interesting.

This tele-robotic installation allows WWW users to view and interact with a remote garden filled with living plants. Members can plant, water, and monitor the progress of seedlings via the tender movements of an industrial robot arm. Internet behavior might be characterized as ``hunting and gathering''; our purpose is to consider the ``post-nomadic'' community, where survival favors those who work together.

The Telegarden was developed at the University of Southern California and went online in June 1995. In its first year, over 9000 members helped cultivate. In September 1996, the Telegarden was moved to the Ars Electronica Center in Austria.

http://cybracero.com/articles/garden.html