[spectre] Machinista 2003 short-list 1: veejays vs visualizers

Sergei Teterin teterin at pisem.net
Mon Mar 24 16:21:48 CET 2003

Hello friends
here is the Machinista 2003 short-list 1:
veejays vs visualizers

"MACHINISTA 2003" is an international internet-based festival of contemporary media art, coordinated in Perm City, West Ural, Russia. Main subject of the festival is "Artificial Intelligence in Art: Faces of Machinic Ingenuity". The focus is on the new interaction of machinic and human in art and culture.

http://www.machinista.ru/en

CATEGORY: VJ'S VS. VISUALIZERS
Category online curator - Vadim Epstein [RU]

So, the battle of times: humans vj's versus visualising programs - WHO WINS, MAN OR MACHINE?

BEST ARTWORKS - SHORT-LIST OF MACHINISTA:

Andrius Ventslova - "1234"
README: russian visual rap.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=105

Stanza - "Amorphoscapes"
README: audio visual experiences for the net.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=65

Stuart Pound - "Plaza Continuum"
README: Thirty years ago making experimental films, I used a technique which breaks footage into blocks of one second, divides each block into four, re-orders the segments and then re-assembles the footage. As with slowed down frames, the viewer sees how the impression of a moving image is created. But the sense of both movement and stillness, time and no-time, is even stronger. In this video I have reproduced this digitally with very different effects.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=182

Arno Coenen - "Time To Bone"
README: insert coin : select video : masturbate.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=41

NomIg - "NomIg"
README: Our premise is to forge a new form of cinematic experience by combining audio and visuals - live - in a way that has yet to be explored. We create an environment where one listens to an audio and visual environment and becomes enraptured and caught up in it, so much so that one casts off the binding preconceptions of time and enters into a state where the operatives of time are dictated by the piece. By taking media objects from disparate sources and putting them into one work of art, we strip sampled sound and imagery from its previous context, thereby liberating it from its previous meaning.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=163

restate - "Restate/Rebelle"
README: restate/rebelle - the thunderous transvormator.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=72

Antoine Schmidt - Venus1
README: Venus 1 dances on music. It prefers jazz,classical, electro and slow techno. Insert a CD in your computer, or plug a line, Venus 1 will like it. In silence, or when Venus 1 does not hear any sound, she waits while wandering slowly, in her own way. Venus 1, through her very peculiar sound perception, gives us another lecture of the music and the sounds.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=49

Simon Richardson - "VJ Vitascope"
README: the material is challenging the idea that the vj follows the dj by eliminating the need for a dj. at present the works are fairly ambient, with some beats, but this is definitely an immersive audio/visual experience rather than the accompanyment for a party of dancers.

betker, deissler - "Lleuchtmittell"
README: lleuchtmittell are not simply mixing videotapes on their live-perfomances. when lleuchtmittell perform on an event ...existing video-material becomes modified and new animations are produced... the creative work happens while the event and is influenced by the atmospere of the location and the kind of music... lleuchtmittell mainly use 2D-animationsoftware, genlocks, videotapes and analog videoeffects for their work but also videocameras, slides or unusual digital-photocameras every kind of lowtec device they own is used for realtime videomanipulation but the result is not "specialeffect show"
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=116

Videotone - "Somework"
README: Somework by V I D E O T O N E  (Barcelona, Spain)
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=197

Ryan Geiss & Rovastar - "Milkdrop"
README: It creates detailed graphical images seamlessly blending 3D effects into one another this is coupled with intelligent beat detection. Time and effort hads been spent creating detailed sound detection using techineques that have only recently become available that it make the sound
come alive.
http://www.machinista.ru/work.php?l=en&id=158

= = = = =

MACHINISTA 2003 Russia
All necessary information can be found on the festival web site:
http://www.machinista.ru/en
Contact: Sergei Teterin <teterin at pisem.net>