[spectre] Downtown Dialogue on Wednesday, June 25, 7-9 pm.

Teri Chan tchan at LMCC.NET
Mon Jun 23 15:34:46 CEST 2003

Please join us!

Downtown Dialogue on Wednesday, June 25, 7-9 pm.

A presentation and casual conversation of our current exhibition Microviews/NYC Unit.  The artists' projects will be discussed in relation to contemporary artistic practices that examine photography and the archive.  Among other issues, panelists will discuss how the organization of documentation informs the viewer's relationship to history and contemporary experiences.

Panelists will include curators Christopher K. Ho and Stephan Apicella-Hitchcock who will speak about Microviews; artist Matthew Bakkom and Michael Lorenzini of the Municipal Archive will discuss New York City Unit; invited artists are Jennifer and Kevin McCoy, Julian LaVerdiere and Jenny Perlin; moderated by Moukhtar Kocache

Microviews, an archive of snapshots of the World Trade Center taken by resident artists in LMCC's program (1997-2001) and New York City Unit, historic images of the city from the WPA Federal Writers Project (1935-1942) housed in the Municipal Archive.  Microviews was organized by artists Christopher K. Ho and Stephan Apicella-Hitchcock, and Moukhtar Kocache and Erin Donnelly of LMCC.   New York City Unit is a fiscal sponsorship project of the LMCC organized and created by artist Matthew Bakkom.

The program is free. Call 212-219-9401 x306 to RSVP.

Lower Manhattan Cultural Council, One Wall Street Court is located at the nexus of Beaver Street, Pearl Street and Wall Street in the heart of lower Manhattan's financial district. The building entrance is on Pearl Street.

Subway and Bus Directions:
2/3/4/5 to Wall Street
J/M/Z to Broad Street
M6 to Broadway and Wall Street
For 30 years, Lower Manhattan Cultural Council (LMCC) has contributed to Downtown's quality of life by creating a fertile and nurturing environment for arts groups and artists, enlivening public spaces with free programs in the visual, performing and new media arts, making public art part of our neighborhood's fabric, and providing leadership in cultural planning and advocacy.  Now one of Manhattan's most far-reaching arts councils, LMCC is a primary source of funding, services, creation and presentation opportunities for artists and small arts groups throughout Manhattan's diverse neighborhoods and creative communities.  Our programs explore our unique urban environment and celebrate the City's global cultures.  Our new One Wall Street Court cultural space at Hanover Square offers a diverse array of gallery exhibitions, public programs and events, and resources for artists.  For more information about LMCC and our upcoming programs, visit www.lmcc.net.