[spectre] OFF THE WALL: (P)reviewing the Venice Biennale 2003

geert lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 16 21:54:51 CEST 2003

From: "Quarantine Series" <quarantine at loods6.nl>
Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 8:45 PM
Subject: OFF THE WALL: (P)reviewing the Venice Biennale 2003

Colour of Quarantine Series generated on 16 June 2003

PRESS RELEASE
Quarantine Series

OFF THE WALL: [P]reviewing the Venice Biennale 2003
Thursday 19 June 2003, 8:30 pm

Today you receive an invitation for the screening of Quarantine Series¹
video on the Venice Biennale 2003, made by Danila Cahen, Nina Folkersma and
Femke Lutgerink (advisor/editor: Rob Schröder).

What are the expections of the international art world of this year¹s
edition of the Venice Biennale? Why did the director of the Biennale,
Francesco Bonami, choose several curators for the Arsenale? How did Hou
Hanru construct his exhibition? Is there a new social political dimension to
the art of today? Is this reflected in the Dutch paviljon? And how do the
director of the last Documenta, Okwui Enwezor, and the brandnew director of
the S.M.A.K. in Gent, Peter Doroshenko, evaluate this Biennale?

Quarantine Series decided to go to the Venice Biennale and make a video
during the three days of the press opening. In the middle of a heat wave,
amongst a record amount of 6.000 journalists, and artists and curators still
running around, we filmed the exhibitions and interviewed the curators. In
the coming three days we will edit our material into a Ohomemade
documentary¹ consisting of separate blocks, each dealing with a specific
topic.

We will show our Ohomemade documentary¹ on Thursday 19 June, starting at
8:30 pm. The screening will be alternated with a debate with artists,
curators and critics from the Netherlands.

As we have allocated 20 seats to the invited participants in the debate, and
because the event takes place in our small exhibition space, the capacity of
seats is very limited. Only 30 seats will be available for reservation.
Tickets are 5 euro and will be on sale by phone only. To reserve a ticket,
please call 020-419 3851 between 10:00 am and 14:00 pm on Wednesday 18 June.

If you are not able to get a ticket, there will be an opportunity to see the
video in our exhibition space in the following weeks. Please check our
website for details about future screenings of the video.

We hope to see you,

Quarantine Series

Quarantine
Rietlandpark 375
1019 EM Amsterdam
quarantine at loods6.nl
http://www.quarantine.nl

PS.1: Quarantine Series is a project by Stichting Kunstwerk Loods 6 and is
supported by: Mondriaan Foundation, Fonds voor de Beeldende Kunst, Bouwkunst
en Vormgeving,  Amsterdams Fonds voor de Kunst, Prins Bernard Cultuurfon