[spectre] Press Release

Dominique Fontaine dfontaine@fondation-langlois.org
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:17:07 -0500

Pour la version fran=E7aise:=20
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/f/informations/nouvelles/index.html

[ Apologies for cross-posting / veuillez excuser les envois multiples ]

************************************************************************=
****
***

** Press Release **

THE DANIEL LANGLOIS FOUNDATION CREATES A NEW PROGRAM:=20
STRATEGIC GRANTS FOR ORGANIZATIONS

Montreal, January 27, 2003 - The Daniel Langlois Foundation for Art, =
Science
and Technology is proud to announce the creation of the Strategic =
Grants
Program, a new undertaking to assist organizations. This program =
replaces
the Exhibition, Distribution and Performance Program for Organizations =
and
the Program for Organizations from Emerging Regions, two Foundation
initiatives first set up in 1998 that nurtured many important projects
worldwide.=20

The Foundation reviewed the projects it had received and selected =
during the
four years these two programs were running so as to answer a basic =
question
for any private foundation: How can we improve our activities and =
assistance
while favouring developments with a substantial and lasting impact? Our
reflection and review eventually gave rise to our STRATEGIC GRANTS =
PROGRAM
FOR ORGANIZATIONS.

Foundation president Daniel Langlois says "the new program is designed =
improve and better target our support for organizations so we can =
fulfill
our mandate more effectively and meet the goals we've set."

The Foundation has a great degree of flexibility and substantial, =
though
limited, resources to address important concerns and issues under its
*thematic focus*. To make the best use of its flexibility, the =
Foundation
generally believes that it should address significant problems over a
limited period of years rather than provide indefinite support. In =
funding
research, the program gives priority to work with significant =
implications
for effecting change and development in the practice of artists and =
others
in a milieu or community. To nurture practical interventions, the =
program
gives priority to projects that are likely to yield lasting =
improvements
after a period of Foundation support.

The Foundation defines the term *strategic* as projects, activities and
programs that have a demonstrated potential to better position an
organization to fulfill its mandate and to enhance its capacity to act =
on
issues and concerns either in its milieu or community or in the =
Foundation's
fields of interest.

THE PROGRAM'S THEMATIC FOCUS=20

*Art, Science and Technology*

The Foundation is interested in contemporary artistic practices that =
use
digital technologies to express aesthetic and critical forms of =
discourse.
The Foundation also encourages interdisciplinary research and, in =
general,
sustains the development of projects calling for co-operation between =
people
from a variety of fields, such as artists, scientists, technologists =
and
engineers. It also renders public the results of research supported by =
its
programs.

*Emerging Region*

The Foundation encourages projects from organizations active in its =
priority
regions outside Europe and North America. In general, the Foundation
supports projects allowing artists, scientists or scholars who are not
European or North American to develop their skills and expertise =
locally in
their region. The aim is to promote the integration of knowledge and
practices specific to different cultures. The Foundation may also =
support
research projects that combine the traditional artistic practices of =
certain
cultures with advanced technology or that explore methods and processes
based on the unique aesthetic principles of certain cultures.

*For 2003, the Foundation is giving priority to Western Africa and =
South
America.*

*Environment*

The Foundation is interested in artistic projects that heighten public
awareness about ecological and environmental issues. Projects must be =
based
on ecological concepts relevant to the notion of interdependent dynamic
systems. They must present an original synthesis between art, science =
and
technology, and ecological and environmental action. They must address
ecological and environmental problems and present solutions that favour =
the
public's participation.

*Digital Heritage*

Preserving new media, or more accurately digital media, is a new =
challenge
for those hoping to keep today's digital "artifacts" alive to educate =
and
enlighten future generations. The Foundation is therefore greatly =
interested
in digital preservation, the preservation of digital artworks, and all
related research. Projects must be of direct interest and use within =
the
programs, activities and objectives of the Foundation's Centre for =
Research
and Documentation (CR+D).

For more details on the CR+D, consult:=20
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/e/CRD/index.html

*Options for Financial Support*

The new program provides several options for financial support. Like =
the
support offered in the past, the Strategic Grants Program for =
Organizations
favours funding used to launch or develop programs, start up =
organizations,
or assist programs for visiting professors. Funding may also be used to
acquire propriety, buildings, land or equipment provided the project is
backed by a solid strategic plan and has potential for fostering an
organization's development and autonomy. The program places great =
importance
on an organization's ongoing development.

*Deadline*

Our next deadline for sending in proposals is June 30, 2003. We =
strongly
suggest you consult our program guide to find out about program =
details,
application procedures, evaluation criteria and procedures, and =
response
time. To refer to these guidelines on-line, visit:=20
http://www.fondation-langlois.org/e/programmes/program_org.html=20

- 30 -

SOURCE:

Jean Gagnon; Director of Program
Dominique Fontaine; Program Officer

The Daniel Langlois Foundation for Art, Science, and Technology
Phone : (514) 987-7177, Fax : (514) 987-7492
email : info@fondation-langlois.org.=20
Internet: http://www.fondation-langlois.org=20

************************************************************************=
****
***

We've sent you this press release to keep you abreast of activities at =
the
Daniel Langlois Foundation. If you wish to be taken off our mailing =
list,
simply reply to this message with REMOVE in the subject line. Thank =
you.

****
***