[spectre] programm 5 at the IFA Berlin

programm 5 nicole at p5-berlin.de
Sat Aug 23 10:31:29 CEST 2003

sorry for cross postings

programm 5 [lilian juechtern, nicole martin] are pleased to announce:

the presentation of two virtual reality projects at the IFA Berlin - Internationale Funkausstellung 2003 [World of Consumer Electronics]

1. »staging strategies« by programm 5 - live - at the IFA

Virtual Reality Technology meets 3D Arts:
»visual sound spaces« at the IFA Night (Friday, August 29)

In the range of production and design 3D visualization and virtual reality technolgies are a standard. Beyond, they offer more than any other medium the opportunity to break up with habits of seeing, and to question patterns of perception. Where do virtual realities stop, and where do they begin? Where are virtual and real borders? How do I navigate through a space without fixed matter? And which landmarks ease my journey? These questions are basic to the project »visual sound spaces«. according to the motto »Virtual reality meets 3D Arts« scientists, artists and DJs present an interactive journey into virtual body and sound spaces to which we would love to invite you at the IFA Night. [excerpt of press release by Fraunhofer FIRST - translated by programm 5]

Explore the virtual realities of »staging strategies« by programm 5. The 3D projection on the screen will be interpreted live by the DJs Checked Emission and so be recombined according to your navigation movement to »visual sound spaces«.

Friday, August 29
IFA 2003, Hall 5.3, Technisch-Wissenschaftliches Forum, Booth 2 F
http://www.ifa-berlin.de

2. »netzhaut [retina]«
a project by programm 5

»visual sound spaces« part 2
August 29 to September 3
IFA 2003, Hall 5.3, Technisch-Wissenschaftliches Forum, Booth 2 F

Explore a virtual world of »netzhaut [retina]« screened in 3D by Fraunhofer FIRST. Compose the spatial sounds inside this VR (produced by Checked Emission) according to your navigation to ever-new sound spaces.

The projects:

. staging strategies http://www.p5-berlin.de/stagingStrategiesE/
. by programm 5

Virtual Reality as a new media requires a genuine and specific formal language. »staging strategies« is a project in virtual space. The research on basic parameters for the design of a Virtual Reality has thus been constituting for our work.
The basic element of a virtual world is dynamic information. Events, data. Everything is floating and moving. How do you visualize this in three dimensional space? Which sensual experiences are elementary to a Virtual Reality?
Dataworlds lack gravity: there is no Up and Down, no ground, no horizon. One move and everything is changing. What has been above is now to my right. How can I find my way in a Virtual Reality?
To investigate these questions, »staging strategies« focusses on the design of an abstract Virtual Reality written in VRML 2.0.

. netzhaut [retina] http://www.p5-berlin.de/netzhaut/
. by programm 5

netzhaut [retina] aims at an online space for non-verbal communication. several users can access a three dimensional virtual world from different locations. the movement of each user is tracked and transferred into visual and acoustic messages. other users react by creating responding messages. a mutual space is shaped through the constantly changing dialogue.

. »visual sound spaces«
. a cooperation

»visual sound spaces« has been developed in cooperation with Fraunhofer FIRST http://www.first.fhg.de and formWerk http://www.formwerk.de. Concept of the virtual worlds by the artists of programm 5 http://www.p5-berlin.de [liilan juechtern, nicole martin], the sounds are produced by DJs of Checked Emission.

»visual sound spaces« has come into existence in course of the research project LaserCave by Fraunhofer FIRST which is about development of projection techonologies for professional and home use.

. http://www.p5-berlin.de
. info at p5-berlin.de