[spectre] Susan Kelly in Skopje: Pilgrimage up the Center of World Trade

Inke Arns inke@snafu.de
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:56:38 +0200

Date sent: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 04:15:21 -0700
From: suzana milevska <suzanamilevska@yahoo.com>
Subject: Susan Kelly in Skopje

PRESS RELEASE

MUSEUM OF THE CITY OF SKOPJE =96 OPEN GRAPHIC ART
STUDIO

September 11, 2002, 7.00 p.m.

SUSAN KELLY

The Land of Far Beyond

PILGRIMAGE UP THE CENTER OF WORLD TRADE

A lecture and projection of the video of the performance The Land
of Far Beyond =96 Pilgrimage up the Center of World Trade, 2000,
VHS, 60 min.

While participating in the World View Studios program (2000)
organized by the World Trade Center, the artist and theorist Susan
Kelly (1975), has conceived this ironic and witty performance.
Today this unique event sounds as a kind of warning and
anticipation. In her lecture the artist will try to clarify her
position both from that period and from today=92s perspective, when
the venue of her performance became a site for mourning the
victims from the events of 11.09.2001.

=93On March 11th, 2000, 4 pilgrims set off to climb the internal
fire escape of the World Trade Center. Like the pilgrims in Enid
Blyton's Land of Far Beyond (a children's story based on Bunyan's
Pilgrim's Progress) we departed carrying our terrible burdens,
from the City of Turmoil, meeting many obstacles on our way - the
plains of weariness, the wood of deceit, the planks of humility,
the steps of tears, security cameras, disappearing staircases and
an armed guard on the 18th floor. Five stations were set up where
the weary pilgrims removed their shoes, gave up their money,
imagined the view and drank cheap wine.

This project attempts to perform a profane reinscription of this
particular summit and re-trace the steps of the strange twists in
the history of the relationship between 'the view', real places
and power.=94  Susan Kelly, 2000

Suzana Milevska
Ruzveltova 46 A I-5
1000 Skopje