[spectre] What an appropriate discussion.

Lachlan Brown lachlan@london.com
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 18:26:08 +0000

Melynda,

      Or may I call you Mel? Thank you for arranging such an engaging,
no appropriate, discussion. What a pity I didn't follow EMPYRE = empire and vampyre? earlier.

Adrian,

      Yes, I would be delighted to provide you with a few URLs. I
wonder, do you have a site outlining, briefly, your interests?

Saul,  Wake up, lad. Technology is cultural! Technology does not
'shape' society. Au contrare. Does anyone have any references for Saul
critiquing 'technological determinism'?

Web search engines?

The first Web 'search engine' was WWWW or W4. The impressions
of the maker of WWWW ('world wide web wanderer' or 'world wide web worm',
which "measured growth in the Web" in March 1993, again in August 1993,
an independent project by a student at MIT originally from Ottawa, provide fascinating insight into the ideology or belief system into which the WorldWideWebProject emerged:

'My God, 900 sites. The Web is HUGE. It is so HUGE I cannot think about it. I'm going to have to go to bed. ... [later] Its still running, 1,250 sites!!!! Oh My God.'

I discuss this in more depth in my book _Digital Cultures: locations of production, networks of distribution, contexts of reception_ yet to be
published.

Jill,

Jill/txt is indeed an academic blog. It cannot be read
outside a particular economy of the academe in the context of a fine art (Mel? Would I be correct in saying this?) discussion group. Quite fascinating to read Jill's 'internal monolgue' of impressions of a conference on ethics with the contribution of Charles Ess, a thinker greatly respected in Internet studies. Quite comforting too, for those of us temporarily 'in the field' so to speak, to read the rather engaging identifications Jill makes with one speaker at my good friend Jeremy H's
institution in Virginia.

I think we are witnessing the beginnings of a mutually beneficial
academic relationship! Please, Jill, keep us 'up to speed' on how this
progresses.

Greater Toronto Bloggers? Excellent portal to the World of the Blog
(Torontonians tend to be a little better connected than most) and
of course at the University of Toronto: Jason Nolan,

Hi Everyone;

My first post to AoIR. Hello everyone! I'm on the organizing
committee for the AoIR conference in Toronto, so I'll probably end up
posting more as the time goes on.

Thanks to Barry Wellman for pointing out this strand to me, or I may
not have noticed for a couple of days. I've been playing about with
blogging for a couple of years. I run or coordinate about 15-20
blogs, and am coordinating some doctoral research into teacher
professionalization using Blogs as data collection tools, and have
run/helped run blogs with secondary, undergrad and graduate classes.
I'm presently heading a team putting together an educationally
focused blogging software tool called Edublog (Edublog.com) and we're
in early beta testing of the tool. Members of our edublog team have
used, or are using most of the major (and some of the minor) blogging
tools (blogger.com, Livejournal.com (deadjournal.com), greymatter
(noahgrey.com/greysoft/ now greylogs.com) thraxil.dhs.org).  For a
good overview on blogging for writers, have a look at a short article
published this month in E2k (www.netauthor.org/e2k/) called " Ceci
n'est pas un blog!". One of my research assistants has spent the year
putting together a wonderful blog listing  all the articles on
blogging she could find on the net. The list is chronological as she
found them, and she's presently organizing them into groups. The list
is at http://edublog.forestry.utoronto.ca/~laurel/ (this address will
change to edublog.org/~laurel pretty soon, and the old address will
not work after around May 2002). There is also some blogging info in
"A report on Future Trends for Online Learning Environments in North
America" (http://achieve.utoronto.ca/papers/VivendiReport.html)

If anyone's doing work in blogs, or wants to be kept informed on what
we're doing, please email me.

Hope this helps, and stimulates some discussion on what is, to me,
one of the coolest things going on on the net.

Jason

Oh, my blog is jasonnolan.net ;-)
--
Jason Nolan PhD
Scholar in Residence,

Jason had some nice pics of Trinity Bellwoods and the course of Garrison
Creek in January 2002 and some excellent links. *excellent*.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup