[spectre] call for artists

mailman mailman@bulentbas.com
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:18:47 -0400

For more art news and calls please visit SANART

http://www.sanart.info

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

- call for artists=20

http://www.the-cyber-kitchen.com Projected Start of
 Exhibition: 23 July 2002 How the project will develop/ guidelines for
submission

Artists are invited to submit proposals for inclusion in the cyber-kitchen
at http://www.the-cyber-kitchen.com by emailing: jessloseby@the-
cyber-kitchen.com

In the kitchen image (see http://www.the-cyber-kitchen.com), a few
objects have been converted to buttons and these will lead the visitor
into the individual artworks. More buttons will be added as artists pick
the areas or objects they wish to interpret. Over time the kitchen itself
will change, as people 'enter' the space and objects are moved and
rearranged. Artists are invited to pick any object or area of the kitchen
for interpretation/representation. This might achieved literally (such as
in the digital interpretation of an object e.g., a teacup) or as a play on
the idea or meaning of an object (e.g. a teacup might result in a work
based on 'a storm in a teacup') There are also four doorways, a French
window and a corridor leading off the cyber-kitchen...where do they go?

guidlines and more info at:

http://www.the-cyber-kitchen.com/call_for_artists.htm

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Deadline: August 1, 2002
Composers with knowledge of visual art
Continental Harmony, project in Long Beach, CA

CALL FOR COMPOSERS
Continental Harmony announces a composer call for a project in Long Beach,
California, with an additional performance in Mexico City. Postmark
Deadline: August 1, 2002

In its inaugural year, Continental Harmony provided many opportunities for
composers to connect with communities across the country, and the Forum has
launched another round of Continental Harmony projects. Between 2001 and
2003, new projects will begin in all 50 states. Host organizations are
seeking composers to be their partners in the creation of original musical
works reflecting their communities' histories, cultures, and hopes for the
future. Each composer will be chosen by host organizations, and will work i=
the community with various groups, write the commissioned piece, and help
local musicians prepare the new work for performance.

Applications are currently being accepted from composers for a project in
Long Beach, California. The Forum will provide the commissioning fee, which
includes a residency of up to six weeks (not necessarily consecutive),
travel to Long Beach, and assistance with other costs. The community host
will provide housing and local transportation, and arrange residency
activities. An individual can only be selected for one project in this
three-year round of premieres.

Composers who participated in the first round of Continental Harmony
premieres (2000-01) are eligible and encouraged to participate. For this
project, knowledge of visual art and an interest in collaborative artistic
work are necessary in addition to the usual criteria of a high level of
musicianship and experience in residency projects.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Long Beach, California
Work: Approximately one-half of a 40-50 minute suite for symphony orchestra=
.
Theme: A musical exploration of the mutual influences of American and Latin
American visual art; the selected composer will represent the "American"
side of the interchange while a composer from Mexico will express the
"Latin" side.

For complete details, visit: http://www.continentalharmony.org/objects

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

5=B0 International Meeting of Experimental, Sound and Visual Poetry

 http://www.vorticeargentina.com.ar/poesia_visual/2002e.html

 Works and projects in the following media may be presented:
> WORKS <
1. Graphics / Objects / Artists' Books
2. Multimedia
3. Video Poetry
> > > RECEIPT OF WORKS : Deadline August 15, 2002 < < <
> PROPOSALS <
4. Performance / Poetry Actions / Phonetic or Sound Poetry

You must present a proposal for the work to be performed. Works of
experimental music will not be considered, nor will poetry readings.
Maximum length: 10 minutes.
> > > RECEIPT OF PROPOSALS : Deadline July 31, 2002 < < <

The meeting will be presented in the Centro Cultural Recoleta,
Jun=EDn 1930, in Buenos Aires, from September 26 to October 6, 2002.
The works and proposals can be mailed or delivered in person to:

5TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON VISUAL POETRY
VORTICE ARGENTINA c/o Fernando Garcia Delgado
Bacacay 3103, Buenos Aires C1406GEE, Argentina
email: mailart@vorticeargentina.com.ar
web: www.vorticeargentina.com.ar

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Call for Papers/Abstracts/Submissions
Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities
January 12 -15, 2003
Sheraton Waikiki Hotel, Honolulu Hawaii, USA

Submission Deadline:  August 21, 2002

Web address: http://www.hichumanities.org
email address: humanities@hichumanities.org

The 2003 Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities will be hel=
from January 12 (Sunday) to January 15 (Wednesday), 2003 at the Sheraton
Waikiki Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii.  The Conference will provide many
opportunities for academicians and professionals from Arts and Humanities
and related fields to interact with members inside and outside their own
particular disciplines. Cross-disciplinary submissions are welcome.

Topic Areas (All Areas of Arts and Humanities are Invited)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

    [d]vision 2002
/// digitalBIEDERMEIER: re/producing the private ///

>From 27th November until 1st December 2002 [d]vision, the Vienna
Festival For Digital Culture presents once again a diverse cross section
of contemporary media culture. A conference, an exhibition and
filmscreenings are exploring new approaches to the topic of private and
public sphere in digital age.

::Call For Proposals
With digitalBIEDERMEIER, [d]vision launches for the first time a call
for entries for the conference part of the event. From 27.11.2002 to
1.12.2002 we will ask Scholars from various disciplines to discuss, in
English or German, some of the questions imposed by the general topic.
Please visit our website for more info: http://2002.dvision.at

::Call For Entries - Film/Video/Multimedia
[d]vision is looking for artists, who provide digital film, video,
CD-ROM or webprojects focussing the topics of public privacy:
private/public surveillance, media-cocooning, intelligent houses and
ambient technologies, new frontiers in digital age, digital and
analogous migration, etc.

Documentaries, fictions and shorts are welcome. Amateurfilm is an
important topic, too. So don't hesitate to send your video diary.

::[d]vision is an international forum for mediatheory, digital film,
video and expanded media such as CD-ROM, DVD and the Internet. [d]vision
is exploring the media void and is bringing up important issues for the
competent discourse in media society. [d]vision - Festival For Digital
Culture presents contemporary trends and issues in mediaculture in an
independent festival for young professionals and the creative class in
Vienna / Austria.

check out our digitalBIEDERMEIER website
and download the application form:
http://2002.dvision.at

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

CALL  FOR  PROPOSALS

We would like to inform you about a symposium of stone carving on the theme
of "Giants" that
is organised in the Nideck Forest  (Alsace) from 19th of May to the 7th of
June 2003.

During three weeks every accepted artist will have at his disposal the
following:

-    one block of stone (rose sandstone of the Vosges) of 5 cubic meters;
-    the accommodation;
-    the catering;
-    the fee of 4000 ? at the end of the manifestation.

The selection of the artists will be carried out according to the files
consisting of:

-    Project description
-    Sketches

You can send in the candidates' files until the 31st of October to:

Apollonia / european art exchanges
12, rue du Faubourg de Pierre
F - 67000 STRASBOURG
tel.:   + 33 3 88 52 15 12
fax:    + 33 3 88 52 15 44
apollonia-art-exchanges@wanadoo.fr
http://www.art-exchanges.net

We are at you disposal for any further information.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP, Segovia, Spain
In October, 2002, New York based photographer Stacy Boge will instruct a
ten-day master photography workshop in Segovia, Spain.
This workshop is for those who wish to discover a new place and culture
while building on their craft and style.
For more information about the workshop please go to
www.masterworkshop.org

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Deadline: September 1, 2002
Conceptual video, film and animated works under 10 minutes
small + UGLY, Baltimore, MD

small + UGLY
presents video works that anticipate, accept and welcome the unique faults
of streaming Internet video in a knowing embrace of the less than perfect.

Seeking conceptual video, film and animated works under 10 minutes. No
honorarium is available. Entry is free. Send NTSC format VHS, S-VHS or mini
DV tapes to Timothy Nohe, UMBC Department of Visual Arts, FA 111, 1000
Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250 USA. Application deadline September 1,
2002. Include a SASE for return of tapes.

Curated by Timothy Nohe
Assistant Professor, University of Maryland Baltimore County Visual Arts
Department,

Email smallandugly@excite.com

web site: http://concretestream.umbc.edu/smallandugly/

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Deadline: September 16, 2002
Emerging visual artists - Career management and professional development
Bronx Museum of the Arts' Artist in the Marketplace (AIM) Program

CALL FOR ARTISTS

For emerging visual artists career management and professional development
seminars provide access to arts professionals, practical career development
tools and foster networking among participating artists. AIM participants
also take part in a group exhibition, accompanied by a catalogue,
highlighting the work of these up and coming artists. 18 artists are
selected to participate in AIM, fall and spring enrollment.

Applications must be postmarked by September 16, 2002

For application and guidelines email priviere@bxma.org visit our website at
http://www.bxma.org

Get the inside scoop on how to apply to the Artist in the Marketplace (AIM)
program!

How Introduction to the Business of Art

When Wednesday, July 31, 2002 @ 700p.m.

Where
The Bronx Museum of the Arts
1040 Grand Concourse
Bronx, NY 10456

Admission $10.00

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

=20

SAW Gallery is seeking a dynamic, full-time Artistic Director with knowledg=
of national and international art activity, as well as a commitment to
supporting local artistic practice.  The Artistic Director works with the
Administrative Director, under the supervision of the Board
of Trustees, to carry out all aspects of the centre's mandate and
operations.

The successful candidate will have:
. artistic vision combined with openness to input from others
. familiarity with artist-run culture
. proven grant-writing ability
. programming or curating experience
. strong communication skills
. the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
. enthusiasm for both intellectual and manual labour
. a degree/diploma in visual art or art history, or equivalent experience
. a willingness to relocate, if not already residing in Ottawa/Gatineau.

Ideally, we seek a candidate who is bilingual, with work experience in an
artist-run centre, graphic design skills and a publication track record.=A0

SAW Gallery is a forum for the experimental work of artists nationwide, wit=
a particular emphasis on performance art.  We have a strong commitment
to the development of local artistic, curatorial and writing initiatives.

The Club, a performance space adjacent to the gallery, accommodates
screenings, performances and other cultural events.  SAW Gallery is located
in downtown Ottawa in the Arts Court complex, which houses a wide variety
of arts organizations including the Ottawa Art Gallery.=A0

Our position in the national capital fosters opportunities for internationa=
collaboration.

SAW has continually evolved during its 29-year history and remains
responsive to changes in the cultural climate and in artists' needs.

Salary:  $30,500 per annum plus benefits.  This is a five day (35 hour) per
week position.

To apply, send a CV, references, and a writing sample (max. 5 pages) and/or
a sample of documentation from past curating or programming.  If you wish
these documents to be returned, please include a self-addressed stamped
envelope with sufficient postage.

Send applications by August 2, 2002 to:         Genevieve Landreville
        SAW Gallery Board of Trustees
c/o Arts Court, 2 Daly Avenue
Ottawa, ON   K1N 6E2
Canada
gennyland@yahoo.com

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Sundance Fund to Support International Documentary Projects

The Sundance Institute's International Program has announced the creation o=
the Sundance Documentary Fund, formerly the Soros Documentary Fund of the
Open Society Institute.

The Sundance Documentary Fund is dedicated to supporting international
documentary films and videos focused on current and significant issues and
movements in contemporary human rights, freedom of expression, social
justice, and civil liberties. In supporting such works, the Sundance
Documentary Fund seeks to give voice to the diverse exchange of ideas
crucial to developing an open society, raise public consciousness about
human rights abuses and restrictions of civil liberties, and engage citizen=
in a lively, ongoing debate about these issues.

This highly competitive program only accepts projects dealing with
contemporary issues, and does not accept historical projects, biographies,
or series. Individuals from around the world may apply with documentary fil=
or video projects that range in length from full broadcast hour to long
format feature. Applicants must have creative and budgetary control over th=
proposed documentary. Quality of work samples, strength of proposal,
potential for broad international distribution, and the issue's significanc=
are elements heavily weighed during the review process.

Two project categories will be considered for funding:
Development Funds: are available for projects in the research or
preproduction phase. Grants in this category range up to $15,000. Grantees
receiving development funds may reapply for additional support upon
completion of at least a rough cut of their documentary.
Work in Progress Funds: are available for projects in production or
postproduction. These submissions are eligible for the maximum grant award
of $50,000, but generally, awards in this category will average $25,000.

For complete program information, see the Sundance Institute Web site
www.sundance.org under programs

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I/O is a monthly public video projection program at the Quotidian Gallery i=
San
Francisco. A different compilation on video, of short pieces of 'time-based
media art', will be silently projected and repeated each 4 weeks, on the
outside gallery window during closing hours. The gallery is located on the
mezzanine (second floor) level of the historic Phelan office building in
downtown San Francisco.

I/O has been initiated and is curated by Michael Smit, who is a Dutch artis=
in San Francisco.

The sidewalk in front of 50 O'Farrell Street is the best place to see I/O;
the gallery window is on the opposite side of the street at the second floo=
level, above a Rite Aid store.

People have been seen to take out some chairs from the back of their cars
and make it themselves comfortable while viewing the program...

We are now calling for new submissions for I/O (#3) which will be titled
"Skin", referring to the surface on which the video projection is appearing=
:
on the second floor window, on the "skin" of the historic Phelan building.
The video projection livens up the already somewhat organic surface of the
office building. At night the gallery window is also often the only window
lit up. So the theme "Skin" does not necessarily relate to sensual
references, but more broadly to the visible physical surface, of living
and/or inorganic matter, to the outside layer of living and inorganic forms
or 'containers' in the world. However, we encourage artists to understand
this in their own ways and interpret it as broadly as they want or can.

The deadline for VHS/NTSC tapes to be received at the Quotidian Gallery (c/=
Michael Smit) is the second Thursday of August: Thursday August 8, at 5 pm.

The show will open on 9pm on Thursday August 22, and end on 9am on Thursday
September 19.
Announcement Cards will be made and sent out for the opening.

Each work should be no longer than roughly 5 minutes
In general pieces that address or relate more specifically to the nature of
this project*, the gallery's location and/or its public conditions, are
encouraged.
 *art gallery window; downtown San Francisco; historic office building; the
window as screen; inside and outside;  near major shopping and offices;
public art; visible from the street for passers-by and hopefully creating
also its own audience; projected at night; etc., etc..

Work on VHS tape (NTSC) must be submitted with a completed application form
(download it at http://homepage.mac.com/iopublicvideo)
and SAsSE (Self Addressed sufficiently Stamped Envelope). Submissions may b=
made by mail or in person to:
Quotidian Gallery
c/o Michael Smit
760 Market Street  #252
San Francisco
CA 94102

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Deadline: August 19, 2002
Public artists
Tallyn's Reach, City of Aurora, Colorado

City of Aurora
Tallyn's Reach RFQ=20

The City of Aurora, Colorado (adjacent to Denver), will commission artists
for both interior and exterior opportunities at Tallyn's Reach, a
combination of a library, police and fire station. The building is located
in the area of the 2000 Parade of Homes site in the southeast portion of th=
city.=20

The panel will commission an interior project for a wall, 18x12' with a
budget of $20,000 and an exterior site is available for $80,000. Exterior
art may be integrated with the site or freestanding. Artists residing in th=
United States are eligible and the deadline is August 19, 2002.

For the complete RFQ, please check the web site at http://www.auroragov.org

and click on Community, Art in Public Places, then Calls for Entry. Or, you
can contact Leah Wiebe at 303-739-6747 to be mailed the information.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Deadline: September 20, 2002
Artists for four solo exhibitions
Wave Hill House Gallery

Call to Artists
Deadline September 20, 2002 (Bronx, NY)

Wave Hill is seeking artists for four solo exhibits for the Wave Hill House
Gallery during 2003. Of particular interest is art that relates to Wave
Hill's mission, works that explore the interaction between people and
nature, and that foster the understanding of and appreciation for this
complementary relationship. Paintings, works on paper, prints, photographs,
mixed media, wall reliefs, and wall-mounted crafts are all suitable for
display.=20

The Gallery is located in Wave Hill House along with the Gift Shop, the
Gilbert and Sarah M. Kerlin Learning Center, the Cafe, and Armor Hall which
is regularly used for conferences, concerts and other events. The Visual
Arts program also curates group exhibitions in Glyndor Gallery and invites
artists to create site-inspired, temporary projects on the grounds through
generated@wavehill.

Logistics - Sales are arranged through the Gift Shop. Wave Hill takes a 30%
commission on works that are sold. In the past, prices for works have range=
from $200 to $3,000. There are five walls in the reception area and four
walls in the Cafe, with approximately 53 running feet for display.

Wave Hill will install the artwork, arrange for all sales, mail an
announcement card, announce the exhibit in our newsletter and on our web
site, and host an opening reception on a weekend afternoon. Any inquiries
beyond the work in the show will be referred directly to the artist. The
selected artists provide artworks that are ready to hang, deliver the
artwork to Wave Hill, and pick up unsold works.

Eligibility This opportunity is open to artists who live within a 50 miles
radius of New York City and who have not previously shown in Wave Hill
House.=20

Exhibit Periods 1) March - May
2) June - August
3) September - November
4) December - February

To Apply, Please Submit 1) a brief letter of interest, indicating preferred
time, how you found out about this opportunity, and if you would be
interested in developing a new body of work that relates to Wave Hill.
2) up to 10 slides of representative works in a plastic slide sheet (color
Xeroxes or printouts are acceptable instead of slides). Please do not email
images and applications.
3) slide list, numbered to correspond to slides, with title, date, medium,
dimensions and price
4) resume
5) self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) for the return of materials

Please do not send original slides or original artwork. We will do our best
to return all materials that are accompanied with a SASE after a decision
has been made. Once again, please do not email images or applications.

Deadline September 20, 2002-postmarked

Send to Jennifer McGregor
Visual Arts Curator
Attn Wave Hill House Gallery
Wave Hill
675 West 252 Street
Bronx, NY 10471-2899

The Arts Program at Wave Hill presents the work of contemporary artists who
explore, demonstrate, or otherwise reflect upon the dynamic relationship
between people and natural phenomena.

Questions? If you have questions about this project, please call Jennifer
McGregor at 718-549-3200 x 204, or email arts@wavehill.org

visit the web site at http://www.wavehill.org