[spectre] Rot and Root

Seizu][o][r][d][e][r][ netwurker@hotkey.net.au
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 17:40:45 +1100

Rot and Root
by Lewis Lacook

Sometimes I wonder about what the world must be like for Mez. I've heard
that it's rather
warm in Australia, as opposed to my own cool corner of the states; warmth
quickens decay, which is only after all the breaking down of the baroque
fabrications of existence to its constituent nothingnesses. And this is
what this artist examines most in her work: structure and its decay... that
random little particle in the helix that slides the system across its own
keys...

Mez's latest, _][ad][Dressed in a Skin C.ode_, at times seems to propose
that the decay of a system (sometimes the system is the guts of computer
memory; at times it is perception itself, reduced to strangely harmonic
rollovers; sometimes, yes, it is language) is also its life, the vibrant
force that breathes step into its inertia. This is nothing new in and of
itself; analogues in contemporary poetry, cinema and visual art abound (the
poet John M. Bennett's work is rife with a baroque fragmentation, sometimes
tentacling out into absolute pure harmony between content and form by the
use of a bizarre and biologically luminescent toilet-humor; lots of mud and
shit in John's poems); but Mez is a writer of a quite different sort, who
writes with flash as well as javascipt and html.

Flashwise, Mez is the rollOver queen. Never have I seen such a profound use
of the rollover effect as I have seen in her works. In Maschine F][w][orked
N.tentions vs Haggard Critical Mass, a wonderful specimen of Mez's current
mengerie of rhizomatic soma, the user faces a powder-blue typographic
painting. Roving across its serene glow with the mouse, the user soon
discovers that this seemingly static work (an email header, actually, from
Mez addressed to the Webartery and the Wryting lists) is porous; one's rove
becomes along its surface a white hand, which means COME IN. The
painting-header swings between the stationary rigidity of painting and
sound (a jungle; some jungle deep within the piece is choking in vines;
distorted animals crawl through its undergrowth...) as you waver over it.
Finally, hitting the exact center of the button all this wild swinging is,
a button like a doorbell to transformation, gridlines multiply across the
words of the poem you can just begin to read....

Mez's work is, at its textual base, indebted to the old concretists and
constructivists; it's at text-level visual poetry, and yet when multimedia
like flash and dhtml gets thrown into the mix, something miraculous
happens. Mez is primarily a writer, but a writer with a clear idea of the
very core of interactive media--this work is a whole; it is not simply text
transfigured with pretty pictures, be they moving to sound or no. Mez
sculpts in these new media. She constructs a hypertext much like Joyce must
have constructed Finnegan's Wake. There are, in her language, certain
resonances that carry themselves from the bounds of the page into the
quickness of motion and the ambiance of noise.

[@ suite 101
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/15239/89610 ]

.U read spitting spluttering variability in2 this.
.U read & add blitzkrieging mouths & foaming hubs & covert socket
i][magery][n][2 the power of][2 this.
www.cddc.vt.edu/host/netwurker/
www.hotkey.net.au/~netwurker