[spectre] System Shutdown exhibition, UK

yoke and zoom nina@ninacoulson.fsnet.co.uk
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:52:57 +0200

System Shutdown. Yoke and Zoom.  The Living Gallery. Stourbridge. Church
Street.West  Midlands.DY8 1LY.Tel: 01384 344466 16th Feb 2002-9th March
2002

Yoke and  Zoom are an Interactive Arts collaborative based in
Worcestershire. The majority  of our work is promoted through our website
www.yokeandzoom.com

For this exhibition we have been  painting fractured electronic systems and
deconstructing actual computer  equipment, stripping technology down to its
basic components and removing the  user friendly interface.    We have also
been constructing an  internet based work produced in Shockwave about
System Shutdown which will be  available to interact with online on
www.yokeandzoom.com . For more information  about Yoke and Zoom email
art@yokeandzoom.com

SYSTEM SHUTDOWN is a  series of paintings, technical interventions , Internet
and Multi Media based  works  by Yoke and Zoom based on the theme of the
breakdown of  technology. The work depicts machines that are defunct, have
crashed, have  viruses or have been destroyed by human intervention.Computers
show blank  screens or error codes becoming victims of information
overload. CCTV cameras  that are obsolete in their design. Circuit boards
that are so
badly wired  they could not possibly work are placed alongside  motherboards
that are crudely  smashed.

Alongside SYSTEM SHUTDOWN are  two  small connected series of works

1. Entitled TRONS. Yoke and Zooms TRONS are deconstructed  circuit
boards that are reformatted into basic figures then are sewn onto a  fushia
pink
canvas, The feminine nature of the colour pink is to contrast  with the
masculine nature of circuitry.

2.Entitled ELECTRIC BIRDSONG feature  birds  virtually connected by
electronic wires. The work compares the  sounds of birdsong to that of modem
connection noises, comparing nature to  artifice.

titles of work    1. I will be your avatar (Acrylic on canvas)2000
2.Networker (Acrylic on canvas)2000 3.Crash (Acrylic on canvas)2000 4.Virus
(Acrylic on MDF)2000 5.Satellite (Acrylic on canvas)2000 6.CCTV (Acrylic on
canvas)2000 7.System Shutdown (Acrylic on canvas)2000 9.Mother Board
(Acrylic on  canvas)2000   10.Doggy Tron (Circuit boards, vinyl emulsion on
canvas)  2001 11.Chimera Tron (Circuit boards, vinyl emulsion on canvas)
2001 12.Yoke Tron and Zoom Tron (Circuit boards, vinyl emulsion on canvas)
2002 13.Man Tron (Circuit boards, vinyl emulsion on canvas)  2002
14.Electric birdsong
15.Digital Dawn  Chorus   16.Silicone Valley  (Motherboard >from  pc)   17.
Electric Bouquet (artificial flowers and stripped wires) 18.  Sensor Ship
(stripped down keyboard  components)   19. Four Leaf Clover Clones
20.Love Life.  Live Life    21.Lo Fi  (Cardboard systems)   22. System
Shutdown (Shockwave, www.yokeandzoom.com)