[spectre] Karosta Journal: now Day Four

derek derek@x-i.net
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:26:34 +0200

Dear Spectres,

Sara Kolster and I are doing a month long residency at the K@2 arts
center in Karosta, Latvia. During this month, we hope to engage in what
we feel is a historiographic investigation into this very special place,
which has experienced so much of the 20th Century: Imperial Russia,
Jewish massacres, German and then Soviet occupation followed by the new
challenges of an independent Latvian state on the verge of the European
Union. This investigation will be undertaken through audio-visual
explorations of everyday objects and places here in Karosta.

We will also make several collaborations and workshops with young people
here involving:

stop-motion animation
field recording
electroacoustics
GPS-based "acoustic cartography"
video

We are keeping a web journal of the project, and invite all of you to
drop by, leave comments, and participate in discussions. The project
description is found under Dec 17 [Day One], and the following days are
a project diary, with audio and visuals:

http://karosta.edworks.net/

Day Four is now online.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Derek