[spectre] Re: audiences

Lachlan Brown lachlan@london.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:29:16 +0000

>    6. Re: Audiences (Annick Bureaud)

>Albert-Laszlo Barabasi, Linked, Perseus, 2002

Thanks this seems a really useful reference. I often forget that the idea
of the WorldWideWeb has reached general acceptance. :) The mapping of resistences
to the idea that the WWW might be an interesting thing to study, research or
work with as publishing, is not necessarily a mapping of serious criticism
of uneven distribution and access. Its a mapping of ignorance and idiocy,
assumptions of power, and the mislocation of power.

I'll take a look at the book. I hope to run a graduate seminar series here
in Toronto which should include the very question of 'growth in the WWW'.
Important to understand given the present diffusion geographically and
the immanent 'broad-band' media delivery capacities.
It was easy to see this growth early on and the development of connectivity as
well as dialogue through content in many formats - the interconnectivity of
WWW with other means of and formats for communication, as well as

However, I prefer diffusion of innovation models to the mere mathmatical topologies
as these interpret quantitive data while topographical models present a world not
necessarily in connection with the world that makes them. Of course patterns of
growth and connectivity have resonances with numerous physical and human geographical
historical exemplars and contemporary distributions, networks, links.

The interconnectivity of WWW with broader, wider, larger, more intense cultural currents
creates a familiar dissonance as well as ambience. That's to say, the dialogue of culture
we are familiar with in so many contexts also occurs in the Web.

Technology a part of a complex story, not the source of its own sense as it can so often seem.

Lachlan

> Hi
>
> I just read an amazing, mind-blowing book. It is not enterely in the
> focus of your question but should help you understand the growth of the
> web. It is a MUST reading for everyone. OK, now the references :
>

> It deals with the topology of complex networks. Easy to read despite its
> mathematical background and content.
>
> Annick
>
> Lachlan Brown wrote:
> >
> > Hello scarey Techno-Europeans of 'S.P.E.C.T.R.E.'

:)