[spectre] Syndicate: Impakt Festival 2001 Programme

Arjon Dunnewind arjon@impakt.nl
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:10:48 +0200

Utrecht, September 17 2001.

The Impakt Festival 2001 will be organized from October 2-7 in Utrecht, The
Netherlands. Please find below a short introduction to the programme. The
complete programme will be online (www.impakt.nl) next week. Please let us
know if you would like to receive the complete programme earlier. It can be
send to you immediately as a MS word 6.0 document (184 K).
It will be our pleasure to welcome you at Impakt 2001.

On behalf of the Impakt organization,

Arjon Dunnewind,
Artistic Director.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Impakt 2001, October 2-7

The 12th Impakt Festival will be special in many respects. For Impakt 2001,
we have entered into a unique collaboration with the Centraal Museum. With
its multidisciplinary and temporary character, Impakt will explore the
borders of what is possible within the museum walls.
An important part of Impakt 2001 is Group Show, a specially compiled
exhibition in which work is brought together by artists who pay special
attention to group behavior and group processes. Group identity is taking
on an ever more important role: collapsing nations on one hand and the
advancing process of globalization on the other makes people reconsider the
culture they form a part of. We are exposed to smaller-scale manifestations
of group processes every day in terms of fashion, styling, and social
traffic, in which we all participate. In the Group Show exhibition
collective identity is set against individual identity in the form of
installations, performances, and workshops, and humans are exposed as herd
animals.
The artists participating in Group Show are Annika Larsson (S), Jeroen
Kooijmans (NL), Patricia Piccinini (AU), Maria Pask (NL), Arturas Raila
(LT), Julika Rudelius (NL) and Klaar van der Lippe (NL).
This year Impakt is paying special attention to the American artist
Doug Aitken. Various Dutch museums have been trying for some time to
organize an exhibition of his work. We are especially pleased that we can
present a program compiled by Aitken himself, with film versions of his
installations.
With the annual Panorama program, Impakt once again offers an overview of
recent developments within innovative visual culture. Panorama consists of
a current selection of installations, the most intriguing productions from
film and video art, as well as cd-roms and websites.
In the Panorama exhibition Christoph Draeger (CH/USA), Magnus Wallin (S),
=46emke Schaap (NL), Jose Restrepo (CO) en Ryoji Ikeda (JP) will show new
pieces.
The Panorama new media programme includes cd-roms and websites by:
Stanza (UK), Miroslav Nicic & Borjana Ventzislavova (AU), Michael Brynntrup
(D), squid s o u p (UK), Gustav Deutsch & Hanna Schimek (AU), Melinda
Rackham (AUS), Mia Makela (S/FIN), and many others. In the new-media
"couch.clubs" the artists themselves present their own websites and
CD-Roms.
=46inally we have selected 147 films and videos by artists like William
Wegman (USA), Kristin Lucas (USA), Phyllis Baldino (USA), Salla Tykk=E4
(FIN), Sam Easterson (USA), Dominic Gagnon (CAN), Donigan Cumming (CAN),
Guillaume Graux (B), Nelson Henricks (CAN), Steve Reinke (CAN), Jay
Rosenblatt (USA).
The music program is filled with concerts and DJ sets given by leading
artists from electronic music and dance culture. Influences >from hip-hop,
techno, surf music, and other genres come together in various performances
that offer an overview of the latest trends in music. DJ Olive (USA),
Christian Fennesz (AU), Mouse on Mars (D), Funkst=F6rung (D), Luke Vibert
(UK) and others will give concerts and DJ-sets.
With a single entry ticket, you can visit all of the programs in the museum
every day, from 11am to 11:30 pm . Furthermore, until 5pm you can visit the
Pipilotti Rist exhibition in the Centraal Museum's project spaces. Because
people cannot live on good art alone, Impakt is also offering a delicious
meal every day in the Centraal Museum's Refectory, and you can drink to
your heart's content in the stylish bar. In our opinion, all the
ingredients for an exciting week are at hand.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Arjon Dunnewind,
Impakt Festival
P.O. Box 735
3500 AS  Utrecht
The Netherlands

If you use a courier service you must have your parcel delivered to our
office address:
Impakt Festival, Damstraat 19, 3531 BP Utrecht, The Netherlands

Tel.: + 31 30 2944493
2nd phone: + 31 30  2963408
mobile: + 31 6 5193 3745
=46ax.: + 31 30 2944163