[spectre] carnivore; A.I.R

David Blair blair@telepathic-movie.org
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:05:03 +0200

US news only, my apologies.... certainly this isn't a surprise, but
specifics are good to know...

1. followup to previous post.... apparently the $40,000,000,000 antiTerror
funding bill (a burst of public spending meant to help head off US
recession), passed in the middle of the night, included changes to the
electronic wiretapping laws that allow the FBI to implement Carnivore. I
haven't read the part of the bill that says this, only reporting second
hand. My sense of the evil side of Carnivore is that it is an arbitrary
search system with no oversight, allowing search at whim, and then arrest
based on what is found.
Now, of course, it doesn't take much evil to do evil, as we know.

2. in case you weren't aware from other lists, the Lower Manhattan Cultural
Council had an artist studio program on the 92nd floor of Tower 1 [that's I
think 3 floors below where plane 1 hit].... here's from the press release....

http://www.lmcc.net/lowdown/summer_01_3.htm

David