[spectre] carnivore; olsen/warren

David Blair blair@telepathic-movie.org
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:31:19 +0200

I apologize for pointing you to wired, but at the moment there is a story
the US domestic survelliance system Carnivore which non-US readers might miss:

--------------
http://www.wired.com

Anti-Attack Feds Push Carnivore
Hours after airplanes smashed into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon,
FBI agents reportedly began showing up at network providers asking to
install the Carnivore surveillance tool.

[The article gives the impression that the boxes are going in -everywhere-
without an exit strategy... it is just a single article, I don't know what
to make of it]

-----------

I haven't watched CSPAN since I devoured it during the election last year,
but I was more than surprised when I turn it on to, just that minute, catch
someone offscreen ask Warren Christopher ... who I'll remind you was Gore's
honorable point man last year in Florida, during that strange cold civil
war generalled on both sides by former Secretaries of State.... "Mr.
Christopher, how do you react to those who say that these events will lead
to a restriction in the civil rights of Americans?"  and Christopher
replied "Well, you know it has been said that the Constitution is not a
suicide pact. I think Americans should expect that they will have to lose
some of their.... conveniences".

again, I don't really know what to make of this.

I also don't know what to make of the fact that the Theodore Olsen, the
person who argued and won the Florida vote case for Bush in front of the
Supreme Court, was the first person to know about the hijacking of the
Dulles flight. European readers may have read about the cell phone calls
from the planes, and about Barbara Olsen, the "celebrity" [right wing
bulldog,  television commentator], who did make very brave phone calls [an
ironic and heroic composure in print] at take off and before her murder.
She was calling her husband, Theodore Olsen, the Bush admin US Solicitor
General. Her plane was headed towards the White House, and only veered
towards the Pentagon at the last moment.

-------------

Ok, I may not know what to make of these things,
but _very much outside of these things,
I do know what I feel these last two days, which doesn't go away, and it's
just like the moment after you've finished crying, but not that freshening
up feeling you get when you've really finished.

David

------------
work available online

http://www.waxweb.org
Waxweb
("Wax or the Discovery of Television Among the Bees")
English/French/Japanese
Spanish in early 2001
--artist CD available--

perhaps in 2001:
http://www.telepathic-movie.org
The Telepathic Motion Picture of "THE LOST TRIBES"

David Blair