[spectre] explosions

Perry Bard minx@bway.net
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 15:24:25 -0500

i managed to make it from brooklyn to my home which is on church street,
the same as world trade center about 8 blocks south. i had to show i.d. to
get onto my block. the streets are deserted. my neighbour told me this area
has been evacuated. there is no rubble on the street in front of my
building but the smoke is intense and walking up canal street as you look
on the streets leading south thick black smoke is swelling between the
buildings. there is talk of gas leaks. the area that the towers is built on
is landfill. when i first moved to n.y. in 1983 there was sand there which
means that more buildings could collapse.

crossing the manhattan bridge was frightening. streams of people leaving
manhattan, people handing out bottles of water. high security at every
intersection to keep traffic from crossing into manhattan. bulldozers and
ambulances only. and no one is speaking. everyone is walking in silence,
watching in silence.

perry