[spectre] (no subject)

ana.peraica@st.tel.hr ana.peraica@st.tel.hr
Thu, 4 Oct 2001 16:42:14 MEST

Dear all

here is the invitation of Giancarlo Politi, the editor of Flash Art, on
discussion about the changes in arts after the 11th September.

Best
Ana Peraica

ART AND THE ART WORLD AFTER THE ATTACK TO NEW YORK

Dear friends,
The attack against the World Trade Center not only shocked the whole world: it
also changed it.
Our behaviours will be for ever changed, and our culture will be radically
transformed.
Art has always been a sensitive detector of change, a delicate sismograph of
our times, often anticipating the shape of things to come.

We would like to know your opinions*:

How will art react to the World Trade Center attack?

How will the art world change?

And will the market be effected?

Flash Art
Giancarlo Politi

Please e-mail to: flash_art@tin.it   or   giancarlo.politi@tin.it

*Your comments will be published in Flash Art magazine and/or in our new
website www.flashartonline.it, which is always open to your ideas and
suggestions.

I'VE ATTACHED TO THIS MESSAGE A LETTER THAT MAURIZIO CATTELAN SENT ME ON THE
OCCASION OF THE FIRST TIRANA BIENNIAL, TO WHICH HE WAS INVITED: HIS LETTER
TESTIFIES THE COMPLEXITIES OF THESE CRITICAL TIMES.

Dear friends,

This time I failed for real. I always tried to visualize failure, to admit
my limits in public. But, in a way or the other, I always pulled it off,
finding a solution for my inadequacy. This time it didn't work out. I
couldn't find any project or any image that would work for this biennial,
not in this atmosphere.
Somewhere I read that until there is a war, art is powerless.
On the other hand, I've always believed in the power of numbers. There is a
strength in staying together.
And the thought that a Biennial in Albania can be carried out with no
resources, counting only on the energy of the people working and living
there, can show that we can still have an impact on reality.

I'm talking too much. And there isn't really anything I can do. What has
happened these days should be a point of no return. It showed one of the
evilest sides of humanity. Ideally, when you reach the bottom, you can only
start swimming back up.
I hope this is the beginning of something, not its end.

Maurizio Cattelan

Ova poruka poslana je upotrebom HThinet WebMail usluge.
https://webmail.hinet.hr