[spectre] Is anybody there? & Shuddabrata Sweet Cybertalk

Jeremy Welsh jeremy.welsh@khib.no
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 16:24:59 +0200

Lorenzo Taiuti wrote:

> Dear spectres Annick, Jerome etc...is anybody there?  ( Pink Floyd
> "The wall")The discussion on Take Over was supposed to be a slow and
> thoughtful one.The slowness is becoming exagerated.Anyway Dear
> Shuddabrata your "digital commons" sound very nice in these times of
> "war talk".What kind of work does your group do ?CiaoLorenzoTaiuti

Yes, still here. It was necessary to take a pause for thought (and other
activities) after the flurry of communication last week. I agree that
the "digital commons" document was a welcome contribution - something to
be enjoyed at leisure offline.

A very concrete problem I had in following up any further on the Take
Over diiscussion was that, as I did not attend Ars Electronica I could
of course not comment any of the exhibits or discussions that took place
there. But the more general issues remain of interest.  Just today I had
a conversation with a colleague teaching in the ceramics department. He
is not teaching how to make ceramic objects but what he is actually
doing is developing programmes in electronic multimedia, site specific
installation and urban intervention for students of ceramics. The
problems and issues he is confronting are very similar to those we
encounter in media arts.  It's of course been discussed at great length
before, but still, that interface between old and new media is an
important issue.

Jeremy