[spectre] Call: Organising Sound and Silence, Barcelona, July 2002

Andreas Broeckmann abroeck@transmediale.de
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:27:08 +0200

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:40:16 +0100
From: Steffen Bohm <s.g.bohm@warwick.ac.uk>
Subject: Call for Papers: "Silence is (not) Sexy: Organising Sound and
Silence",  EGOS, Barcelona, 4-6 July 2002

Silence Is (not) Sexy: Organising Sound and Silence
Conference stream at the 18th EGOS Colloquium, 4-6 July 2002,
Barcelona, Spain (www.egosbarcelona.com)

CALL FOR PAPERS

Silence can be heard only from those who are disposed to wait for a
while, it is slowness. Sound travels through the air at sonic
velocity, it is modern speed. But silence is also what is denied, made
invisible, hard to discuss; and sound can be local expressions of
wider silences. Hence the ethics of sound and silence is not easily
decidable. We invite contributions which deal with the dialectic
between sound and silence as an occasion to explore fields of art,
organisation, resistance, change and hope; as a chance to give voice
to emotion, desire, indifference and seduction. The following list of
themes should be seen as an inspiration:

- - Aesthetics and the sublime of sound and silence
- - Anti-modern silence: mysticism, religion and God
- - Body noises, voices and silences
- - Conferences as noise factories
- - Desire of sound and silence
- - Ethics of sound and silence
- - Hearing the disabled: giving voice to the lost, hidden, neglected
and marginalised
- - Historical perspectives of sound and silence
- - Modernity and the loss of silence
- - Music of organisation and organisation of music
- - Noise=Sound?
- - Organisational sound and silence
- - Production and consumption of sound and silence
- - Resistance of sound and silence; sound and silence of resistance
- - Silence=Woman?, Sound=Man?
- - Spaces, places and spheres of sound and silence
- - Speed and sound
- - The scream: the silence and sound of pictures and images
- - Urbanity: the sound and silence of the city
- - Why do we have to talk all the time?, or, the fear of silence

This list is, of course, not exhaustive. We are very much concerned to
include a wide range of interdisciplinary and diverse voices. In order
to go beyond traditional conference modes of organising sound and
silence, we would like to encourage the submission of a range of
different forms of contributions; that is, besides the usual academic
paper format we very much welcome experimental forms of representation
of text, images and sound.

Please send an abstract of no more than 500 words by email to all
convenors by the 15th December 2001. If you are considering to submit
a piece of art (music, picture essay etc), we would still like you to
send us the required abstract describing your piece and your planned
presentation at the conference.

Stream convenors:
Steffen Bohm, University of Warwick (s.g.bohm@warwick.ac.uk)
Attila Bruni, University of Trento (anomalo@libero.it)