[spectre] FWD: DATATRANSFER Festival of cyber-culture (Praha)

Eric Kluitenberg epk@xs4all.nl
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 15:02:48 +0100

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:33:57 +0100 (CET)
Subject: DATATRANSFER Festival of cyber-culture (Praha)
From: Danny Holman <danny@nextra.cz>

DATATRANSFER Festival of cyber-culture: digital film, internet, design,
performance
http://www.datatransfer.cz

Theme: "The Street finds it's own use for things"
                     (William Gibson, Neuromancer)

12. - 24. 11. 2001  Archa Theatre, internet, Prague metro

Datatransfer festival is a new regular festival aiming to bind the emergi=
ng
Czech e-culture scene with recognized and up-coming international artists
from abroad.
The festival is planned as an annual event.

FESTIVAL CONCEPT
Taking its title from a line in William Gibson's Neuromancer novel, the
festival will feature developments in e-culture where hi-tech becomes a p=
art
of our every day life, enriched with new cultural and social aspects.

The festival will transcend the traditional art showcase concept and beco=
me
a part of city life - a significant part of the program will be presented
among the internet community on the web. We will screen short sequences o=
the digital film section on the video screens in the Prague metro station=
Mustek, Muzeum and Florenc, from Nov 12th to Nov 24th.

PROGRAM OF THE FESTIVAL:

1. DIGITAL FILM:
Future visual styles.
Digital film is the format which has liberated filmmaking from the expens=
ive
demands of celluloid and opened up many possibilities for more experiment=
al
work. As different mediums converge, film is becoming more and more
influenced by music videos, graphic design and computer games. Together w=
ith
our special DVD section we present the best of onedotzero, the world=A5s
largest festival of digital film and a documentary about William Gibson, =
the
influential 'cyberpunk' sci-fi writer.

2. INTERNET:
Dynamic world of internet virtual street.
The nature of the internet is characterized by William Gibson=A5s metapho=
r of
a megalopolis called The Sprawl, a flexible, adapting, unlimited urban
culture. Internet is one of the key elements of cyber-culture and therefo=
re
we dedicate a significant part of the festival program to it, allowing it=
grow and develop exclusively on the internet and among the web community.

3. DESIGN:
Visual history of the Prague streets.
An exhibition of music poster design from the last decade is the first of
its kind in Prague. It is a non-traditional retrospective of Czech poster
art - one of the main visual media of the street. Digital technologies ar=
widely embraced by poster artists and heavily influence their work.

4. PERFORMANCE:
Music of isolation in the world of modern technologies.
Robin Rimbaud - Scanner - is a leading pioneer of ambient electronic musi=
c.
His performances are based on "rediscovering" electronic sounds, broadcas=
ts
and anonymous phone conversations. They express feelings of the human
condition, of living in a world suffering from information overload.